BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, if you can help me figure out what's next thing to do. I replaced both control arms, tension strut arms (all OEM) and still having vibrations on about 70-80 MPH. so i drive up to 80mph for example, no vibrations then after 5-7 seconds it will vibrate both on steering wheel and on the gas pedal. I have to slow down to 60-65 so it will stop the vibration. I saw some posts from Blubee and thinking about the Guibo/Giubo replacement. Any input will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pao

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vibrations felt where?

In your seat?
In your steering wheel?
Hi Sir,

Steering wheel, Gas pedal and even on the floor both Driver and Passenger side. Recently had an alignment too. I'm totally lost and was thinking of selling the car if I can;t figure this out asap due to safety reasons since I'm traveling almost 400 miles every week.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, if it's a wheel related issue, it should vibrate at any speed right. Mine is ok at 60mph and below, above 60 it shakes so bad. I'm thinking to borrow an OEM wheels and tires and try, not sure if that matters.

·
Slip slidin around town
1,359 Posts
I have vibrations between 40-60mph, usually on the surface streets not freeways, above 60 its solid as a rock. I just ordered new tie rod ends, thrust arms and control arms from FCP groton and will install them this weekend and pray it works! What else can cause vibrations in the front end shimmy?

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
Tires.
I bet they are feathered and chopped...
+1

Also, how long has it been since you replaced your rotors? My car benefited greatly from new rotors all the way around. I had a nasty speed wob during hot braking at any speed and especially during braking AND turning at highway speeds on down.

The E39 has uber-light unsprung components and is very susceptible to any slight to moderate imbalance from the tires on in.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have vibrations between 40-60mph, usually on the surface streets not freeways, above 60 its solid as a rock. I just ordered new tie rod ends, thrust arms and control arms from FCP groton and will install them this weekend and pray it works! What else can cause vibrations in the front end shimmy?
That looks better, mine's really shaking above 60 at any speed. Had a recent accident where i had to replace right Inner and outer tire rod end, both control and tension strut arms, had an alignment but still vibrates. Please note that before the accident, or when i got the car, it already had a vibration so I think that all parts were installed properly by the Indy shop but the vibration must be something else. I got the car with aftermarket wheels and tires.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
+1

Also, how long has it been since you replaced your rotors? My car benefited greatly from new rotors all the way around. I had a nasty speed wob during hot braking at any speed and especially during braking AND turning at highway speeds on down.

The E39 has uber-light unsprung components and is very susceptible to any slight to moderate imbalance from the tires on in.
You think it can be the rotors when the vibration occurs even on accelerating? i feel a slight vibration on braking but not as bad as accelerating or on steady speed.

·
Registered
4,928 Posts
+1

Also, if the car is on the ORIGINAL OEM suspension (struts and shocks), then I can pretty much bet the tires are worn incorrectly, regardless of how many alignments you get.
Ask me how I know...

·
Seek to understand,^Value
25,199 Posts
Oh ok .. I don't like the wheels and I'm still looking for a used OEM Wheels/Tires package on craigslist since this is one of the possible suspect of the shaking.
Dunno if this helps, but look'it here for vibration ideas:
- The main causes of vibration while highway driving (1) (2) (3) (4) (5); while highway braking (1) (2) (3); and while slow speed braking on bumps (1) & TireRack vehicle vibration diagnosis chart (1) (jpg) with match mounting hints (1)

And, for tires/wheels choices, look'it here:
- Choosing the right BMW tire size (1) (2) & tyre circumference, diameter, offset, & clearance calculators (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) & a torque conversion calculator (1) & how to logically choose tires by the numbers (1) (2) & where to buy your tires in the USA (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) & tire plant codes (1) (2) (3) & tire safety (1) & recommended tire pressures (1) (2) (3) & the claimed benefits of nitrogen gas (1) (2) & tire terminology (1) (2) & wheel terminology (1) & BMW wheel specs (1) & BMW & replica wheel styles (1) (2) (3) (4) & the difference between cast vs forged wheels (1) & where to find the wheel markings for proper match mounting (1) & the best products for cleaning wheels (1).

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
after replacing my tie rods, all control arms, struts, mounts, pads, tires, alignment and sway bar links i still had a vibration- three bent rims from pot holes, the tire shop was able to balance them but i live with slight vibration at 69 mph good luck let us know what fixes it

·
Older than old school
4,461 Posts
Because you're also feeling the vibration in the gas pedal, it could be in your drive line. You might have a shop put the car up on a lift, with the wheels suspended, and see if there's any vibration in the drive shaft or binding of the universal joint.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.