BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Car Guy
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went for a night drive this evening here in St. Louis. My Z3 will be 20 years old in December, and I'm still amazed at how much fun it is to drive, how comfortable it is, how well it performs. I was surfing Bring a Trailer auctions tonight, looking at cars I lust for (Alpha Romeo GTVs, Triumph TR6s, MGBs). I've always been tempted to pick up an additional ride, especially given some of their price points. For example, there's a terrific TR6 out there with a high bid of 9k. But then I drive my Z3 and remind myself that I basically have a modern version of those cars ... and mine starts every time. :)

Mine's a garage queen. I'm the original owner and its a third car. It doesn't get driven in the winter. Still looks pretty darn good. One of these days, I'll fix the rocking passenger seat so my wife quits complaining about it. I fixed the driver's side years ago!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I fully agree with you. I have owned 2 MG's in the past and was looking to buy a MGB almost 2 years ago. I remembered the hard ride and loud inside noise and that was only if it started. I decided for a few thousand dollars moore I would get a 2001 Z3 3.0 with 43k miles. Great decision. I now have a car that is fast, comfortable, and most importanly reliable. Here in Houston I have the top down 8-9 months. Can't beat the fun factor.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took my 2.8 Z out of the stable yesterday and drove down to Huntington Beach. I say the same thing (still fun to drive) every time I get behind the wheel. That new car smell maybe gone but the fun factor hasn't left...

·
Registered
5 Posts
economical to drive too, and don't you love that "stuck to the road" feeling when you hit those corners. I feel sorry for the Mazda drivers, no class there!

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts

·
Proud Canadian, I'm Sorry
942 Posts
Still love the Z3. I would love to pick one up as a third car for myself as well. What a classic.
I have a Z4 and a Z3 now, as I just sold my other Topaz Blue Z3....the fact I could choose which one to drive was a hoot. But two car garage and three roadsters...no to good in Canada.

But if you can keep them dry, snow off them, and stop from being sun-baked...having ore than one is great.

·
Glfbggy
632 Posts
I fully agree with you. I have owned 2 MG's in the past and was looking to buy a MGB almost 2 years ago. I remembered the hard ride and loud inside noise and that was only if it started. I decided for a few thousand dollars moore I would get a 2001 Z3 3.0 with 43k miles. Great decision. I now have a car that is fast, comfortable, and most importanly reliable. Here in Houston I have the top down 8-9 months. Can't beat the fun factor.
The top on mine never goes up, 12 months a year. That said, I will not drive it when there is snow on the road. Once the roads get cleared I'm out again and the top is always down, even at less than 20* F. I've learned that 10* F is too cold for my left ear lobe though.... fortunately, we haven't had an really cold temps without snow on the roads so I've been safe..... :thumbs:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts