BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

still

948 8
I recently took my car the shop to get the flex joint/disc fixed. But sometimes I still feel like it makes a small noise not all the times but rare. It feels like they didn't tighten it up.
That one problem.

So now I'm not sure what cause my vibration from the steering wheel. I feel it's getting bad over time.

Symptoms are:

Popping sounds when I turn the steering wheel.
Wheel bearing is a little bad on the left rear wheel.
steering wheel shakes @ 35-60 mph while only braking.

I might need new control arm bushings?
or tie rod?

What about a new suspension?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
The shaking in your steering wheel while braking is warped front rotors. As for the popping sound hwen you turn the wheel.... does it do it when you turn left or right? or doesn't matter which direction you turn it'll always do it?.

And are you talking about the flex disc on the driveshaft? or are you talking about the steering rack guibo rubber/aluminum thing?.
The popping sound happens more often while making a right turn.

So what do if my rotors a warped in front?

What are my best options. When I took it to the shop they said my rotors seem fine! They said maybe I need to resurface them?

I'm not to sure about that?

Sorry but I also feel like the steering wheel is hard it always slides more to the right.

and it seems I have to turn the steering wheel more than usual to make a turn.

What's wrong with my baby?

Thanks again for you feedback.
No, your rotors are NOT warped (veteran festers should know better by now)....chances are, you need CABs, and maybe tierod ends and possibly ball joints as well.
The popping sound happens more often while making a right turn.

So what do if my rotors a warped in front?

What are my best options. When I took it to the shop they said my rotors seem fine! They said maybe I need to resurface them?

I'm not to sure about that?

Sorry but I also feel like the steering wheel is hard it always slides more to the right.

and it seems I have to turn the steering wheel more than usual to make a turn.

What's wrong with my baby?

Thanks again for you feedback.
How hard would you say the CABs are to DIY?

and tie rods?
I seem to remember the warped rotor argument, I won that one I think. Yes rotors can warp. They can shatter too. Also they can crack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arQTPeUD4QY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3t9pCsR5Mg&feature=related

and the worst one of all

Sorry, Crowz, but the "Urban Legend" of widespread warped rotors is largely a bunch of horsesh!t....while they *can* be out of true due to a number of reasons (poor manufacturing tolerances, a sticking caliper, the gorilla at the tire shop had his impact gun set on 600 ft./lbs. when he put the wheels back on, etc.) And I would bet that most of those "cracked or shattered" rotors were drilled....

But, the fact remains that normal street driving is not likely to cause rotor warpage....
I seem to remember the warped rotor argument, I won that one I think. Yes rotors can warp. They can shatter too. Also they can crack.

]
Well not likely is not the same as they dont warp.

This is from the veteran discussion we had on it a few years ago.

Another aspect to consider is that the non-enthusiast population tends to seek out the lowest possible price, and often frequent those highway joints that advertise "$59 Brake Jobs",.... those places may not observe minimum thickness standards when turning the rotors, leaving them more vulnerable to warpage.

Regards,
Bob
Again...."outside the realm of *normal* circumstances".

Let`s just let this one go, eh ?
Well not likely is not the same as they dont warp.

This is from the veteran discussion we had on it a few years ago.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.