BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my roommate just got a new gti. i swear to god my 330 must be re-badged or something because there's no way my 255hp car with 220 lb-ft of torque should feel that much slower than his 200hp with 207 lb-ft of torque.

i know it's a turbo and turbos give that all-in-one shot of boost, but his car pulls hard from 2500 to 6900. my bmw doesn't start feeling good unless i rev the sh*t out of it.

i got rid of my rx-8 rotary for a few different reasons, but torque was one of them. it delivered a weak 159 lb-ft, but at least the power was constant and linear from low RPMs all the way up to 9500.

my 330 felt good for the last month (when i bought it). now it feels fat and slow compared to a car that costs nearly $20k less. lame!

at least i still have rwd. :dunno:

·
Registered
28 Posts
You should of opted for the 335i if you were looking for speed and turbo boost.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
For $23k, the GTI is one of the best values on the market. I would take it over the 1 series and mini without question. The bimmers handle better, but not 80% better.

If you want simplicity, performance, and value, VW is hard to beat.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
My wife has an '07 GTI and it certainly felt lighter than my E90 330i. However, it can't compare to my E92 335i coupe :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
Tell your friend to get chipped by any of the 'big 3'(APR,GIAC,REVO) and then you'll really have fun in his car.

As a proud owner of a GTI, I've gotta say its a great car for its class. However, service at VW dealers are horrible and VW's 'no loaner unless your car is seriously jacked up' approach is annoying.

I think my car is a great value...it's got DSG tranny, 18's, Navigation(Slow), iPod(sucks), Leather Recaros with 5 stage heated seats (awesome), sunroof, adaptive bi xenons(awesome), fogs and plenty of power :thumbup:

I'm still itching to get out of my car and into a 335i though... less than a year now till my honeymoon and ED in europe!

Its relatively cheap to mod too, Chip,intake and a full TBE could run you $1500-2k and you should have 252hp / 303 lb/ft.

·
False Enthusiast
1,669 Posts
I'll bet your roommate will trade if you ask him.

jummo

·
Registered
485 Posts
My wife has an '07 GTI and it certainly felt lighter than my E90 330i. However, it can't compare to my E92 335i coupe :thumbup:
+1 and if the GTI is matched with DSG....that means a PERFECT take off and PERFECT shift everytime (unless your last name is Schumacher lolssss)

with the 2.0 FSI chipped...is pretty hard to beat for the $$$

but put it up with the twin blow-dryer 335i.....is gonna be day and nite

my co-worker back then had a 2006 GTI with DSG.......and we did a straight line from about 0-50ish with my Audi TTQC 6 speed

my TT is a 225hp (stock K04) with REVO chipped with Boost controller, Intake, larger MAF hosing, with 4bar FPR to match, Short Shifter, UR pulley kit and the REVO program is tuned to match all of the above mods

it was putting out around 238whp (damn AWD system with a HUGE power loss)

anyhow 0-25mph: he jump a good 3/4 of a car length because of his perfect launch

25-40: i started playing catch up .....slowly

50: we were side by side

conclusion: if i didnt have all those extra stuff....he would be ahead with his perfect launch and there is noway i would be able to 'catch up'

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
I'm leasing a 530i (same engine as yours) and yes, the GTI is a lot of fun to drive. VWs have gotten much better in terms of reliability but remember that it is a FWD car and does not have the handling and the road manners of your 330i. BMWs historically last longer as well, so I wouldn't feel so bad about what you've got.

You've also got a really refined BMW engine -- one of the smoothest, best sounding engines out there. Move down to a VW and, well, it's a VW.

When my le
so my roommate just got a new gti. i swear to god my 330 must be re-badged or something because there's no way my 255hp car with 220 lb-ft of torque should feel that much slower than his 200hp with 207 lb-ft of torque.

i know it's a turbo and turbos give that all-in-one shot of boost, but his car pulls hard from 2500 to 6900. my bmw doesn't start feeling good unless i rev the sh*t out of it.

i got rid of my rx-8 rotary for a few different reasons, but torque was one of them. it delivered a weak 159 lb-ft, but at least the power was constant and linear from low RPMs all the way up to 9500.

my 330 felt good for the last month (when i bought it). now it feels fat and slow compared to a car that costs nearly $20k less. lame!

at least i still have rwd. :dunno:

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
BMWs are about smooth, linear power delivery. Not drama. Fast revs, engine and exhaust noise, engine vibration, road noise, powerband peakiness, etc all create a sensation of speed and acceleration. Your 330i has lots of sound dampening, a velvet-smooth inline-6, and a flat torque curve.

If you are looking for more of a speed sensation, a BMW might not be the right car for you. There are cheaper, faster alternatives.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I'm leasing a 530i (same engine as yours) and yes, the GTI is a lot of fun to drive. VWs have gotten much better in terms of reliability but remember that it is a FWD car and does not have the handling and the road manners of your 330i. BMWs historically last longer as well, so I wouldn't feel so bad about what you've got.

You've also got a really refined BMW engine -- one of the smoothest, best sounding engines out there. Move down to a VW and, well, it's a VW.

When my le
The GTI has the motor that goes into Audis. Very reliable. Been around for years.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
BTW, he should be shifting alittle earlier than 6900, no more power is being generated after about 6300. The car redlines at 6500 and the stock hp / torque curve although extremely linear does peak 2-300 before redline.

·
Registered
228 Posts
I posted this in another thread recently:

Comparing my GLI to the 328 sedan rental I had for around 10 days, the 328 is actually faster, but the GLI has more sensation of speed, and the torque comes earlier. I think part of this is due to the transmission. The DSG feels a lot more direct than the regular slushbox in the 328.

Regarding the power issue, I think it's generally agreed that, like the BMW 3.0TT, the VW 2.0T is somewhat under-rated, and is really making somewhere around 220HP/220 ft-lbs at the crank. Coupled with being a lighter car than the 330 to begin with, I would think it's not too unreasonable that the GTI would feel faster than the 330.

·
Turn Burglar
12,282 Posts
For $23k, the GTI is one of the best values on the market. I would take it over the 1 series and mini without question. The bimmers handle better, but not 80% better.

If you want simplicity, performance, and value, VW is hard to beat.
+1
A low-mile pre-owned 07/08 GTI will most likely be my next car.

·
*Da Butter Pecan Papi*
2,261 Posts
BMWs are made almost bullet proof... they are much heavier than lots of cars out there.

·
Registered
7,144 Posts
+1
A low-mile pre-owned 07/08 GTI will most likely be my next car.
Next May I will be doing an ED, if you can wait my 'low-milage' fully loaded GTI will be for sale in June of 09 ;)

·
Registered
228 Posts
The engine or the transmission are not the problem, it's everything else around it :rofl:
Exactly. The problems with my GLI have mostly been related to how stuff is put together. The engine and transmission have been flawless, though I do only have 32,000 miles on it.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts