BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Wish I Didnt Hate My 7 :(
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not express how angry I am that some low life will steal my key, but those people are out there... losers who want to brag to people they have a BMW by showing them a key fob :thumbdwn:

While at dinner tonight, I took my phone and keys out of my pocket, as I normally do, and lay them on the table. We were at a small restaurant, they were on the side of the table, my attention was turned the other direction. I look back, it couldnt of been more than a minute and *POOF* key and phone gone.

As it turns out, I only had the one key to begin with so I had to have a friend pick us up and drive back with the valet key. I still have the metal key, just not the fob.

ANYWAY, I called around to some dealers to get a quote and its about $300 or more per key plus $100-$175 to program it--I have comfort access. Is there any cheaper solution? I heard eBay keys are worthless but any other place to buy just the fob?

:mad::mad:

· Registered
2015 535i, 2017 X3 x35
1,823 Posts
When you get your new key, your should have the dealer deactivate the stolen key so it can't be used - requires reprogramming the car. BMW only makes 10 or so remotes for each CA car and the extras are stored in Germany (unless X model remote) and they have to be ordered by VIN identification. If all 10 or so remotes have been used, then a total reprogramming and possilby a new computer is required which is very expensive.

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as I know, there was no other keys ever ordered for this car. I gave them the VIN and said it won't be a problem. The good news is they can deactivate the stolen fob but I'd like to still punch that @** in the face for taking it.

Unfortunately the Dealer is the answer. There are/were several ebay sellers but not trusted!
I was trying to save some money but calling around to dealers I even found the price fluctuated between $230 and $300+

What I gather is this is a different key because of the comfort access, some dealers say no and some say yes.:dunno:

· Banned
401 Posts

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

· Banned
401 Posts
you wouldnt happen to have a number for him or email would you? tried to send him an IM but haven't been able to get ahold of him
Call or text 908-635-3868 his name is Drew.

· '12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,994 Posts
I can not express how angry I am that ...While at dinner tonight, I took my phone and keys out of my pocket, as I normally do, and lay them on the table :mad::mad:
Sorry about the loss but now-a-days you have got to understand that putting your stuff on a table isn't exactly the "brightest" move on your part. Hey, why not put your wallet on the table too since it's big and bulky and that way you wouldn't be uncomfortable? Just because "you always do it" doesn't carry any weight.

120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sorry about the loss but now-a-days you have got to understand that putting your stuff on a table isn't exactly the "brightest" move on your part. Hey, why not put your wallet on the table too since it's big and bulky and that way you wouldn't be uncomfortable? Just because "you always do it" doesn't carry any weight.
thanks for the helpful tip :doh:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.