Restraint System Malfunction
Braking/Chassis Stabilization Malfunction
DBC Malfunction
Right rear turn signal
Right front park lamp
Left front parking lamp
Left brake lamp
Start off assistance malfunction

we hooked it to a code reader and the only thing that came up was two wheel speed sensors.

the kid we bought it from tried to change the valve cover gasket himself. Hence the severity of the smoke and leaking oil.

it also needs a Vanos Solenoid

my question is …
can you use a valve cover stop leak for this .. pros? Cons?
Is there any type of epoxy or such that can hold up on a valve cover?

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 119K miles NOKIAN WR G3 30K miles
23,522 Posts
Cons only. How does stop leak know which is a leak and which is a tiny VANOS oil passage? Deferred maintenance only complicates and confounds subsequent issues. Cure your malfunctions.

·
Nuclear engineer
23,522 Posts
no doubt.
im just looking for a cheap and quick solution that isn’t going to cause more problems in the future.
Stop-leak anywhere will cause problems in the future. If you want cheap, perhaps a Black & Decker automobile would be more suited.

Slow is good. I often take a drink before tackling an anxiety inducing job as it helps me relax and go slowly, or think “Hmm, I’ve had a drink. Do I really want to do this now? Am I really ready?”. There is never time enough to do the job right the first time, but ALWAYS (somebody else’s) money to do it over.

At the moment I am procrastinating grossly on solution ‘welding’ a tiny 1/16 x 1/16 x 4/16 piece of plastic to a cherished appliance. I have learned what elastomer is the appliance part made of, and found an appropriate piece of stock to whittle down, and the proper chemical MEK for welding it.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,056 Posts
kinda related MANY MANY maybe a couple of decades back I had an Vauxhall Astra (1.4 estate) back in the UK, I think I bought it with a pending blown HG, some light mayo but was told, just some moisture due to not being driven

Anyway, long story short, was getting high water temps and loosing water (not too bad) so I tried a "stop leak" product in the radiator and 24 hours later my car over heated to buggery,

The dealer replaced the blown HG and said the stop leak also gunked up the thermostat so it was jammed closed, result of a £5 treatment, over £1000 punds of work, HG, water pump, new front end, thermostat, that shit, screwed up a lot of stuff

The treament can be quick but it's ANYTHING but cheap

Doug knows exactly what he's talking about

I don't think Nuclear Scientists use stop leak or duct tape to fix stuff either ;)

·
Nuclear engineer
23,522 Posts
I don't think Nuclear Scientists use stop leak or duct tape to fix stuff either ;)
I don’t know the quantity rate that we ordered RED duct tape but we used HUUGE amounts of it as the only approved seal for many contamination control applications. That and yellow polyethylene sheeting.

A standard opening question on re-qual oral exams was, “Tell us your actions on seeing a yellow poly bag floating in the river.”. Hours later they might finish their quiz.

Our RED duct tape was NASHUA brand, and I am regularly reminded while driving through back country North Carolina.

I do recall the quantity rate of Birds Eye Brand lint-free diapers, 10,000 12-packs per year.

• Wow
Reactions: jaye944

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,056 Posts
Wow no way, well if is ok for nuc.sci then it'll do for the 2'er

I don’t know the quantity rate that we ordered RED duct tape but we used HUUGE amounts of it as the only approved seal for many contamination control applications. That and yellow polyethylene sheeting.

·
where da clutch at ?
2020 BMW 230i
4,056 Posts
^^^Dat right there

1 - 15 of 15 Posts