BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day my husband and I drove out of town to visit relatives. He dropped me off at my family's home, and then he kept going for another 10 miles to his destination. We never turned the car off when I got out. I totally forgot that the key fob was in my purse. The car did not show a signal or anything. Of course when he turned the car off, he was stuck! I had to find a ride to bring the fob for him.:yikes::yikes: Can I change this somehow? Like maybe it turns off when the key is out of the car or it shows a warning?

·
///Monkeyazz Duck
7,704 Posts
It absolutely shows a warning, complete with an audible gong. Not much good though if you choose to ignore it....

·
Registered
43 Posts
I can attest to that! Mine didn't give me a warning at all either!!! Luckily I realized I didn't have the key and had to turn around. I think there's a flaw in the software for this.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
It absolutely shows a warning, complete with an audible gong. Not much good though if you choose to ignore it....
+1
If the remote is moved outside the car with the engine running there is a clear warning. I think the o.p. and her husband would benefit from having the dealer walk through how the keyless system works and how important it is to have a remote control inside the car. And it would help to read the owners manual.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Every BMW with Comfort Access that I have had gives a visual/gong warning if key removed from car. Don't know why yours did not do that.

·
Registered
8,892 Posts
The other day my husband and I drove out of town to visit relatives. He dropped me off at my family's home, and then he kept going for another 10 miles to his destination. We never turned the car off when I got out. I totally forgot that the key fob was in my purse. The car did not show a signal or anything. Of course when he turned the car off, he was stuck! I had to find a ride to bring the fob for him.:yikes::yikes: Can I change this somehow? Like maybe it turns off when the key is out of the car or it shows a warning?
No, you can not change it so the car cuts off when the key is out of the car. Its likely that BMW considers it a safetfy feature, in case your key looses connectivity to the car while you are in it and driving... you would not want it to turn off at that point.

When the key is removed from the car, there is a big keyfob symbol in the dashboard. There is normally an audible gong, but this could have been missed if you were speaking with your husband at the time, or music was playing etc.

You can see the symbol by starting your car then taking the key out of the car. You will see the symbol in the dash.

In my own household, we kind of have a rule that "keys always go with us", so i always have both keys (my wife and I both have BMWs). Where this has cause discussion, is my wife always keeps her key to my car in her purse, and sometimes forgets to move it when she moves purses... and she did not seem to think it was a big deal because I had my key. I keep telling her that this is the type of thing that could happen, and finally got her remember to move the keys when she moves purses too.

Its just something you will have to get used to ( the fact that your husband should have had his copy of your car key with him, even if you were taking your car). Its one of the things you deal with with the convenience of not having to insert the key to drive.

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Just another voice here ... the message will appear in the center dash message area. Remote control not present. You might not see it if your not looking there when it appears.

If you have a more recent model with iDrive (with Nav or otherwise) it will also display there.

And it will go away on it's own eventually.

·
Novice driver
3,898 Posts
I think the o.p. and her husband would benefit from having the dealer walk through how the keyless system works and how important it is to have a remote control inside the car. And it would help to read the owners manual.
Based on the info in this thread, it sounds like redrobin1977 and jephwoyo understand that system just fine; the warning indicators are not activating as they should.

redrobin1977 and jephwoyo, it may be worth taking your respective F3x cars to a workshop/service department and have them diagnose why the keyless entry system warning messages are not displaying properly.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Do you have a warning for this below? I'm wondering maybe this parameter controls the missing key too. Couldn't find a specific parameter for missing CA key.

CC_ZUENDSCHLUESSEL - CHECK CONTROL NOTIFICATION FOR KEY LEFT IN IGNITION WARNING WHEN OPENING DOOR

·
Registered
220 Posts
My gongs when I get out of the car with the key fob in my pocket. When I get back into car there is a warning on the main screen that I have to click OK to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine absolutely did not give any kind of warning until some work was done and they did several SW upgrades, I noticed other things, like previously the rear camera would remain on when the convertible top was opening/closing now I just get a symbol on the screen.

I think if there was not a (as stated above) very obvious gong and accompanying instrument pack display it definitely warrants further investigation.

·
Registered
864 Posts
No, you can not change it so the car cuts off when the key is out of the car. Its likely that BMW considers it a safetfy feature, in case your key looses connectivity to the car while you are in it and driving... you would not want it to turn off at that point.
Yup!:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
My sister's Toyota doesn't check where the key is, it just has to be in range. Once she left the key at home, started the car and the it lost connection after 30 feet and stopped right in the middle of the road when she was merging onto it.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
My sister's Toyota doesn't check where the key is, it just has to be in range. Once she left the key at home, started the car and the it lost connection after 30 feet and stopped right in the middle of the road when she was merging onto it.
This is impossible. I used to have a Lexus, with the same system as Toyota had. You can't start the car with the key inside the house. You can't even start the car if you put the fob on the roof, and close the sunroof shade. If what you are saying is true, as long as you were within 30 feet of your car, and it was unlocked, anyone could get in the car and start it up and drive away with it. Even if it was locked, if what you said was true, a thief could just touch the door handle and the car would unlock. Based on your story, anyone could steal your car if you park it in the driveway of your home.

"In range" is within the cabin of the car.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
This is impossible. I used to have a Lexus, with the same system as Toyota had. You can't start the car with the key inside the house. You can't even start the car if you put the fob on the roof, and close the sunroof shade. If what you are saying is true, as long as you were within 30 feet of your car, and it was unlocked, anyone could get in the car and start it up and drive away with it. Even if it was locked, if what you said was true, a thief could just touch the door handle and the car would unlock. Based on your story, anyone could steal your car if you park it in the driveway of your home.

"In range" is within the cabin of the car.
I think what happened that the key was in a bag when she started the car and her partner brought back the bag in the house.

·
You Don't Need to Know
3,055 Posts
I think what happened that the key was in a bag when she started the car and her partner brought back the bag in the house.
Ok--then the car should have beeped that the key was missing. But I'm not aware of any proximity key system that automatically shuts down when the key is not present, for the exact reason of the facts you recited. Someone could get killed--it's actually the exact same result as the GM ignition recall--the car suddenly shut down without warning, and there was a loss of power steering, power brakes, airbag functionality, etc.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
Ok--then the car should have beeped that the key was missing. But I'm not aware of any proximity key system that automatically shuts down when the key is not present, for the exact reason of the facts you recited. Someone could get killed--it's actually the exact same result as the GM ignition recall--the car suddenly shut down without warning, and there was a loss of power steering, power brakes, airbag functionality, etc.
I agree. This is a European Toyota Yaris, not sure if there is any difference. Maybe she missed the warning.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts