BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Storage Compartment Underneath Trunk in my 2012 550i

4205 Views 13 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  bgstucki
Perhaps a silly question, but I noticed in the 2012 5-series sales brochure that is shows a small secret compartment in the front of the trunk that can be usedto store small items. My 2012 550i M-Sport Package vehicle has this compartment, however when you open it, you can see the main car battery toward the back plus a second small battery (the size of a battery you would find on a riding mower) in this storgae area, with no room for storage whatsoever (unlike what is shown in the brochure). Does anyone know what this second small battery is for? It renders this space underneath the trunk floor as completely useless, although it is pretty small to begin with.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Pics would be good. Mine is nicely finished and has no batteries visible. I am a bit confused when you say the front of the trunk though. Mine is at the back - towards the back bumper of the car in other words.
I'm referring to the same comparmtment that you are. When I say "front" of trunk I mean closest to the rear bumper. I'll take a picture this evening and post it. When you raise the lid up of this compartment it is totally unfinished and contains what looks like a second battery. I was shocked the first time I opened it as I was expecting it to be an additional finished storage compartment. I took delivery of the new 2012 550i just about a month ago.
Someone screwed up and didn't install the proper surround. Here is what mine looks like...

I'm referring to the same comparmtment that you are. When I say "front" of trunk I mean closest to the rear bumper. I'll take a picture this evening and post it. When you raise the lid up of this compartment it is totally unfinished and contains what looks like a second battery. I was shocked the first time I opened it as I was expecting it to be an additional finished storage compartment. I took delivery of the new 2012 550i just about a month ago.
@tcoke:
1. Did you buy car new or used?
2. Does your car have Integral active steering option?
Yes car has integral active steering and was purchased new. See picture of compartment attached.

Attachments

The small battery is to power the IAS. I'm not sure why the trunk is unfinished. You may want to ask someone who has a RWD 550i with IAS if their trunk looks the same. Stealth.Pilot comes to mind, send him a PM.
Yes car has integral active steering and was purchased new. See picture of compartment attached.
Mine looks like yours.
My compartment holds all my flat repair gear.
Vehicle Car Auto part Automotive lighting Automotive fog light

Does the battery take up all of the free room?
The battery and cables take up all the room. I'm thinking it must relate to the integral active four wheel steering. I was more curious than anything.
I have a 2012 535i with IAS and I have the storage compartment near the bumper.

Go figure??
That's a shame IAS robs you of space. I have a full-size spare tire in mine. :rofl:
I hope the OP have a rubber trunk liner. Thats a really crappy setup for a expensive car. Any spill or moisture in the trunk area will cause all kind of electrical issue.
I have a 2013 550i with IAS and mine has the battery there too. Caught me off guard as I was used to the pocket there as well. Held my random golf accessories.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.