Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Outdoor

Votes: 2 15.4%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The E46 is going into storage. Indoor, unheated costs $1550 for the year. Outdoor costs $360 for the year. What would you pick?

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Outdoor.

Buy a car cover with the difference.

Either way, you should start the car and drive it around the storage facility approximately once per month. Perform a full maintenance including oil, tranny and diff fluid changes. Wash and clean inside and out. Add a measure of "Stabil" or similar to the gas tank. Check for expired milk containers, trash, dead bodies, etc. in the trunk and remove before storage.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,315 Posts
Outdoor.

Buy a car cover with the difference.

Either way, you should start the car and drive it around the storage facility approximately once per month. Perform a full maintenance including oil, tranny and diff fluid changes. Wash and clean inside and out. Add a measure of "Stabil" or similar to the gas tank. Check for expired milk containers, trash, dead bodies, etc. in the trunk and remove before storage.
Sorry to disagree, Wing, but unless you`re gonna drive it at least 25 miles, it ain`t even worth starting the car....that short exposure time will only lead to a lot of unwanted/unneeded condensation in all the systems, it`s much worse than not starting it at all. And to the OP....what kind of crap is that, anyway ???? Don`t you have any friends/family who will take care of this for you?

Regards,
Bob

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Move to a climate where you can enjoy your E46 all year round!

·
Premium Member
14,837 Posts
Sorry to disagree, Wing, but unless you`re gonna drive it at least 25 miles, it ain`t even worth starting the car....that short exposure time will only lead to a lot of unwanted/unneeded condensation in all the systems, it`s much worse than not starting it at all. And to the OP....what kind of crap is that, anyway ???? Don`t you have any friends/family who will take care of this for you?

Regards,
Bob
Good point, FB.

I was extrapolating on when I stored Magnus (our '67 Mini Cooper S) in an un-airconditioned (this is Florida, after all. :rofl: ) storage unit for 5 months when we first moved to Orlando after shipping it from the UK.

It does seem to me that a periodic drive would be best for the car, perhaps if not monthly at a short distance, then bi-monthly to get the oil warmed up etc. and condensate dispersed, as well as to avoid flat spotting the tires.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,315 Posts
Good point, FB.

I was extrapolating on when I stored Magnus (our '67 Mini Cooper S) in an un-airconditioned (this is Florida, after all. :rofl: ) storage unit for 5 months when we first moved to Orlando after shipping it from the UK.

It does seem to me that a periodic drive would be best for the car, perhaps if not monthly at a short distance, then bi-monthly to get the oil warmed up etc. and condensate dispersed, as well as to avoid flat spotting the tires.
If I had a `67 Mini, I`d probably bring it into the house with me.... :)

·
BMW Genius @ BMW Portland
2,198 Posts
The good news is you and a friend can carry it :rofl:
haha. just like the Top Gear episode where Jeremy drove a small car around..then picked it up into the BBC building and drove it inside the building to get around! :rofl: i love that show.

·
2,198 Posts
Yeah, I would kill to get one of those things.... though I would settle for a Isetta with a 75 hp dirt bike engine :)
Isettas are awesome! i would love to have one of those in my garage :D:D

·
when will the keg end?
552 Posts
Isettas are awesome! i would love to have one of those in my garage :D:D
There was a time when you could buy them from traveling circuses for pretty cheap as retired clown cars... thats how my freinds dad ended up with one... it was spray painted purple.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
haha. just like the Top Gear episode where Jeremy drove a small car around..then picked it up into the BBC building and drove it inside the building to get around! :rofl: i love that show.
Here ya go...

·
2,198 Posts
There was a time when you could buy them from traveling circuses for pretty cheap as retired clown cars... thats how my freinds dad ended up with one... it was spray painted purple.
no wayyy. does he still have it? hell, id consider driving it to school!

·
Registered Loser
444 Posts
What type climate does location have? If it gets snow and freezing cold for long periods, I would do heated. The cold to warm to cold creates a to much condensation on the metal that will cause corrosion and cost you more in the long run in repairs.

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
What type climate does location: o have? If it gets snow and freezing cold for long periods, I would do heated. The cold to warm to cold creates a to much condensation on the metal that will cause corrosion and cost you more in the long run in repairs.
Yeah, that's kind of important.

I would go inside/climate controlled. Otherwise, rain, snow, salt(?), leaves, all kinds of crap will get all over it. I would also talk to someone about how to store properly and do that stuff too (fluids, tires, etc.)

Of course, if the car is in crappy shape, I'd go outdoors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts