BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took deliver of a 2007 3.0si. Wow, viva la differance compared to my Lexus RX350, give me German engineering any day of the week!

Is it just me or is there very little storage space for the Driver? My armrest lifts up but shows all internal wiring. There appears to be a compartment above the deep cavity but it doesn't open without forcing it (yet!). No I do not want a cell phone holder/charger. A silly little cup holder that could have been more. Why can't someone design a nice holder to replace the ashtray, another good place to put coins etc.

I have looked around but find no original nor add-on accessories to replace the armrest. I found a good looking cup holder (mounts next to the transmission hump) but doesn't seem to work for the X3.

So what would be the ultimate solution:

1. new armrest with 2 compartment; one deep and one shallow
2. replace the silly cup holder with a small tray
3. replace the ashtray with something useful

Any help appreciated:rofl:

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts
European X3s have console and storage options not sold in the US. I'm not sure how yours is set up. Either you don't have the console we get here, or you are missing a part we get as standard.

You can replace the front ashtray with a small 'oddments' storage compartment. Part Number 51163402638

You can replace the cup holders with another tray. That may be what BMW uses in countries where people don't eat in their cars.

You can purchase an empty first aid kit box and bracket. Install it under the driver's seat.

If I get a minute I'll take photos of our console and post it in this thread.

Attachments

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Assuming you have the centre armrest option, I'm confused as to why there is "internal wiring" inside the large storage box. The armrest is two levels: The left button under the armrest opens the shallow tray, the right button opens the big box underneath.

I'm assuming your centre console looks like this:

As for the ashtray, you can order an oddments tray, part number: 51163402638

·
resU deretsigeR
6,259 Posts

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
I got an Oddments tray from my dealer and its nice for change. I meant to drill a hole for the light but never got around to it. This thread reminds me to go do that.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Assuming you have the centre armrest option, I'm confused as to why there is "internal wiring" inside the large storage box. The armrest is two levels: The left button under the armrest opens the shallow tray, the right button opens the big box underneath.

I'm assuming your centre console looks like this:

As for the ashtray, you can order an oddments tray, part number: 51163402638
I too was confused...the photo is correct. The armrest top portion button will not open the top portion and the bottom portion is like someone removed the container that we there. So in the schematic that someone was kind enough to attach...parts 10 and 11 are missing.

Many thanks for the ashtray tip.

"If there is no God, why is the sky Carolina Blue?"

Steve

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
+1. Sounds like there is a defect or manufacturing error. Dealer needs to rectify this.

Many thanks for the ashtray tip.

"If there is no God, why is the sky Carolina Blue?"

Steve
:thumbup: I've also heard the variation "If God wasn't a Carolina fan, why did he make the sky Carolina blue?"

·
Registered
5 Posts
European X3s have console and storage options not sold in the US. I'm not sure how yours is set up. Either you don't have the console we get here, or you are missing a part we get as standard.

You can replace the front ashtray with a small 'oddments' storage compartment. Part Number 51163402638

You can replace the cup holders with another tray. That may be what BMW uses in countries where people don't eat in their cars.

You can purchase an empty first aid kit box and bracket. Install it under the driver's seat.

If I get a minute I'll take photos of our console and post it in this thread.
Can you provide the link to where you found these jpgs?

I've been looking all over for this drawing :)

Thank you!

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
CD Changer

The wiring inside the large center storage bin must be for a CD changer because that is where it goes. However, if you don't have one then you shouldn't have any visible wiring. May want to check on if it was removed.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Paging AzNMpower32

What in the heck is that thing on your dash that looks like a joystick???

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I just took deliver of a 2007 3.0si. Wow, viva la differance compared to my Lexus RX350, give me German engineering any day of the week!

Is it just me or is there very little storage space for the Driver? My armrest lifts up but shows all internal wiring. There appears to be a compartment above the deep cavity but it doesn't open without forcing it (yet!). No I do not want a cell phone holder/charger. A silly little cup holder that could have been more. Why can't someone design a nice holder to replace the ashtray, another good place to put coins etc.

I have looked around but find no original nor add-on accessories to replace the armrest. I found a good looking cup holder (mounts next to the transmission hump) but doesn't seem to work for the X3.

So what would be the ultimate solution:

1. new armrest with 2 compartment; one deep and one shallow
2. replace the silly cup holder with a small tray
3. replace the ashtray with something useful

Any help appreciated:rofl:
Maybe check out the BMW seat-back accessory? :dunno:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts