BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will need to store my 2006 BMW 530Xi this winter from Mid January through until about May.

First question is best way to set up trickle charger. I have a smart charger - I can set as low as 2 amps and it won't overcharge - which is good. Is it better to connect direct to battery in trunk? Or better to connect under hood to the connections for jump starting?

Any other storage tips? Fuel thoughts - stabilizer recommendations, full or near empty tank?

It will be in my garage - so dry but cold in New England during winter.

Thanks for all ideas.

·
Registered
995 Posts
This is solely my educated opinion:

1. Remove battery completely (no charging during absence). Store in dry, room temperature place. Make sure to clean it from any moisture.
2. Set car on jack stands with wheels off the ground to avoid tire damage.
3. Tank at 90% full with best grade fuel (arguably Shell V-Power is the best) in addition to running through a couple of tanks with good quality additive before storing, which removes water condensation and preserves fuel and adds protection against fuel lines rusting on the inside. Fuel stabilizer is also recommended while the car is stored.
4. Make sure the interior is free of moisture as best as you can. Clean it and dry it to minimize bacteria and mold buildup.
5. Depending on your garage, leaving your windows down just a tad will help humidity escape interior.
6. If parking on concrete, create moisture resistant buffer. Plastic sheets do well.
7. Remove spark plugs and spray some oil (WD-40) into the cylinders to prevent corrosion.
8. Plug all holes with rags to avoid rodents and critters from entering and building nests. (muffler, air intake, spark plug holes, etc.)
9. Remove wiper blades and store in warm place.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Not sure if jack stands are necessary, but they can't hurt. I used them when I stored another brand of car for the winter. If you don't use jackstands, move the car every 2 weeks or so.
I would leave windows up, less chance of rodents getting into car. I had to have my car sit for a month (DUI) and mice got into my engine compartment and undercarriage.
Fill your tank. Don't think that a fuel additive is necessary for 5 months.
Never used plastic sheets, but maybe there is something that I don't know.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I normally have a moist collecting device in my car in the winter time. You know a silicate bag that sucks the moisture out of the air and creates water that is collected at the bottom of the unit. Just remember to pore the water out from time to time.
You would be amazed by how much moisture is stored in your car stuffing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts