BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, as the title states, I have a massive transmission leak, I have no idea how it started but I definitely began today, I drove to work fine but when I left on my break I noticed a small leak when I parked at home (nothing at work, I also assumed it was condensation from the A/C as it was small drops) when I left my apartment to go back to work my transmission stuttered in 1st gear and I parked to find a ginormous puddle of red fluid under my car that was smoking (still dropping). Possible reasons?

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,915 Posts
Only way you'll find out where it's leaking is get under there and look. Do it safely. Don't trust the trunk jack, and use jack stands.

Where is the dripping / puddle?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I got under the car, the leak, or where it's most wet, is alongside the main transmission pan at what appears to be a bright red rubber boot of some kind.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Only thing I can think of that has a rubber boot in the trans pan is the interlock/gear selector cable (from shifter). Maybe the seal failed. I know the one in my Chevy shows signs of a small leak too, got all gaskets ready since I'm changing the trans fluid these days.

Can you get a pic to double check?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe that is the cable, I can get a picture in the morning, it's a bit too dark right now. I can say that the entire main pan was soaked while the smaller sump was dry. I can see the trail of trans fluid from my apartment to where I stopped about a mile down the road. There are large puddles at stop signs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the multiple posts, it was the only way to get them to upload, it seems like the part of the pan gasket above the gear selector is gone, some fell on my face when I rubbed the side of the pan, sorry for the angles, it's lowered and the jack can't get it that high

·
D'oh, You Kids!
1984 633CSi, 1985 635CSi, 1985 325e, 1987 325is, 1993 325is, 1995 318is, 1995 M3, 2003 F150
29,915 Posts
Put it up on something safe, drain what's left of the ATF, drop the pans (plural) replace the filter and fill it up using new gaskets and a TORQUE WRENCH to seat the bolts.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went to autozone to buy a gasket set and he told me that I should replace the gasket/remove the small sump. I told him I was going to be doing it to replace the ATF and he told me that they didn't carry the smaller gasket, only the one for the main pain.

·
hookersandblow
7,254 Posts
I went to autozone to buy a gasket set and he told me that I should replace the gasket/remove the small sump. I told him I was going to be doing it to replace the ATF and he told me that they didn't carry the smaller gasket, only the one for the main pain.
Pelicanparts.com

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would love OEM, but it's my daily driver and I have to Uber until I can fix it. I'll end up fixing it by Monday. I hope I don't find any/ many metal filings in the pan, is there an amount where I just have to say I need a new tranny?

·
Registered
12,830 Posts
I would love OEM, but it's my daily driver and I have to Uber until I can fix it. I'll end up fixing it by Monday. I hope I don't find any/ many metal filings in the pan, is there an amount where I just have to say I need a new tranny?
The need a new tranny point is when it dies. Until then just keep changing the fluid every 20K-30K miles to give it the best chance to keep going.

·
D'oh, You Kids!
29,915 Posts
Yes, Dexron VI is fine. Any name brand will do. Even store brands are fine.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts