BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2005 BMW 325Ci convertible Triple Black
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started with the car dying and so I bought one of those jump starters hooked it up car started up just fine and I continued my trip it is a family in Arizona. I made it here just fine and I got here charge off the car and the blower would not stop even with the key out of the ignition and doors closed and locked. So I pulled the fuse and there was a spark. Over the next few days car started up just fine no issues and then went to start the car yesterday and it would start and for 2 seconds and then die. Tried a few more times did the same thing this morning I went out to start doing some troubleshooting and figuring things out and the car will crank and it's just about to turn over and start and it just won't make that last little leap. I checked the battery it is at 11:00 62 volts and that's with it being connected and everything overnight but like I said now it just won't even start for that 2 seconds it was doing before. I am getting no error codes I am getting several things that seem to not pertain to it at all like window pinch protection and wiper relay short circuit. I'm getting one that's a short to U-batt. I'm assuming that the short is to the blower since it wants to stay on all the time and the few Sparks. I don't know if this means I should just replace the blower motor resistor since the motor works but it's staying on. I took apart the front section to get to the blower motor and blower and the cords look good everything looks fine in there I don't see any wires that are torn or broken. I have family members here that are mechanics and they keep telling me it's just the alternator and it just replace the alternator or just replace the battery but they're not taking to account any of the other symptoms or things that have gone wrong and I feel like in a BMW it's never as simple as just the battery. I am getting a code about the IBS possibly being faulty and I'm just kind of stuck now and I don't know my next move should be I literally cannot afford to take this to a mechanic right now and the thing that sucks is that I was already supposed to be on the road and heading back home 3 days ago. Another weird thing that it's doing is the button to roll down all windows sometimes we'll roll all down but when rolling up it will roll up all three or all four or sometimes just the back two windows which shows me there is definitely a short or an electrical issue that is causing this but with the exception of the lower staying on the whole time and the fuse not blowing but still sparking if you try to put it back in tells me that there's definitely an issue there I just don't know if that would stop the car from being able to crank all the way over. I feel like there is a issue here that is causing all of these issues and I'm just not quite sure what it is and when I find short circuit does that mean I just need to replace that part or does that mean that there is a wire somewhere in there that I need to fix because the wires that I can get to you and I've looked over I don't see anything wrong with them and I've done the continuity check on them and they're going through. The convertible top now which has been having issues for about a month I repaired the latches and it will now open three to four inches and then we'll close three to four inches also does both those things just fine it just won't move past that point and the new cover will not open on its own at all. It just feels like there's so many electrical issues that they have to be tight somewhere and I can't find out what that is. I did have an amp connected to the positive terminal and it had some freight cords along the way so I just went ahead and disconnected that all together it says that the IBS is a black box as connected to the negative terminal but the only black box I see is what's connected on top of the red positive terminal. It just seems like it's all over the page when I read these codes I can post what I'm getting down below and if anyone has an idea of something that is random that could have happened or something that's hopefully a simple fix. Also right for this start happening I had just put in a new mirror that is for my model cuz I needed the new fzv antenna amplifier for the convertible and raise my key to the century which is also not working I actually need some help and I have a lot of obligations back home but help me with my grandma and my mom passed away last year so I've been trying to answer her storage units and get her house cleaned out and everything that should ask me to so is really important I get back as soon as possible and I cannot stress enough I do not have the money to go to a mechanic and throw down even $400 right now so any advice will be greatly helpful I will leave the error codes below but like I said the normal OBD2 scanner and I bought I just wanted for everything and the Carly one brings up a dishes which it brought up 36 issues before and now it's saying eight8
Product Font Screenshot Technology Watch
Product Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Font
Font Pattern Number Monochrome Circle
Product Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Font
Font Pattern Number Monochrome Circle

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also I've been at this for 4 4 hours in the Arizona son and I've tried as much as I can for myself also the IBS sensor says it's connected to the negative terminal with the only thing I see connected to my battery is terminals is all on the red terminal which should have an amplifier connected to it and the wires were free that were coming out that connector so I disconnected it and take it off to stick the wires protected but I did not play about him so I think I was just a negative terminal connected and I read terminal connected with there's a black box on the red one and that's the only black box I'm seeing so I'm not sure if this is something simple like the IBS sensor needs to be replaced or is it the battery I'm not sure cuz the battery is measuring at 11.62 volts and that is with it sitting all night and then me trying to start several times the lights come on everything's working seems like normal except over the button to roll all the windows down will down only three or it'll roll down only two but when I hit the world outside for them it only works out up the back windows and the desert world social studies were going to butchers and stuffing I'm just at a loss I thank you guys for having the patience even read the song post I'm just kind of in chaos mode right now and don't know what to do because I'm limited amount of time and I really need to get back home.

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
The FSR is the culprit.
Disconnect and remove it for now.
I wrote a trouble-shooting guide for FSR many years ago...

DIY: Trouble-shooting HVAC Blower Motor and FSR

Once you d/c the FSR, charge the battery and see what happens.
Search FCPEuro for review, but use only genuine BMW FSR.
Or get a used FSR from junk yard...

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
What?

The FSR is $180 at BMW dealer!

The crap you find at local autoparts stores are mostly Chinese junks.
The used FSR at junk yard is 10x better than the part from local auto parts store.

·
Registered
03 330cic, 03 325iT
324 Posts
Also I've been at this for 4 4 hours in the Arizona son and I've tried as much as I can for myself also the IBS sensor says it's connected to the negative terminal with the only thing I see connected to my battery is terminals is all on the red terminal which should have an amplifier connected to it and the wires were free that were coming out that connector so I disconnected it and take it off to stick the wires protected but I did not play about him so I think I was just a negative terminal connected and I read terminal connected with there's a black box on the red one and that's the only black box I'm seeing so I'm not sure if this is something simple like the IBS sensor needs to be replaced or is it the battery I'm not sure cuz the battery is measuring at 11.62 volts and that is with it sitting all night and then me trying to start several times the lights come on everything's working seems like normal except over the button to roll all the windows down will down only three or it'll roll down only two but when I hit the world outside for them it only works out up the back windows and the desert world social studies were going to butchers and stuffing I'm just at a loss I thank you guys for having the patience even read the song post I'm just kind of in chaos mode right now and don't know what to do because I'm limited amount of time and I really need to get back home.
The Rein blower resistor is $60. And it is the OE part so it is identical to the one bmw sells.

And good lord, please use the return key.

your post is completely unreadable.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry for the mess of a post, I was using voice text (arthritis) plus sun in my eyes and swet so editing didn't help. Will the FSR stop the car from driving? It starts sometimes and dies 2 seconds later. Last night I read about the fuel pump possibly going bad and what the symptoms were, I have on a quarter tank of gas left in my car so I dumped in some fuel injector cleaner, and waited a moment and started the car it still took a second for it to crank over but it started and I was able to drive about 200 ft before it died. That's what had me thinking that this was a fuel pump issue but I don't want to go putting 2 to $300 into a part if that's not my actual issue and when it died the lights dimmed just a little bit and came back on and then dimmed and came back on and then it died. I can still turn the key to the second position and everything is on just like normal the instrument cluster the lights the windows all that stuff. So I wasn't really thinking that it's an alternator or battery issue but more so the battery and power getting shorted out by something which from what I'm understanding is why you guys are saying the FSR is what needs to be replaced but I just wasn't sure if that would make it for the car would not fully start or start and then die 2 seconds later.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
That's what had me thinking that this was a fuel pump issue but I don't want to go putting 2 to $300 into a part if that's not my actual issue ...
If you don't hear the Fuel Pump prime when you turn the ignition to ON, it's dead. And it's only a $150 part for Siemens/VDO OEM, even less for Chinese aftermarket.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I turn the car to position two I hear something in the front of the car sounded like it's I guess priming and then behind me I can hear a clicking or thud like sound, is that with a fuel pump sounds like cuz there's a few different noises I hear when I turn the car to position 2

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
When I turn the car to position two I hear something in the front of the car sounded like it's I guess priming and then behind me I can hear a clicking or thud like sound, is that with a fuel pump sounds like cuz there's a few different noises I hear when I turn the car to position 2
The Fuel Pump is under the rear seat on the passenger side under a round cover. Remove the rear seat and that cover and then listen when you turn the ignition to ON but not starting the car. A whirring noise would be normal but a thud or clicking noise would not be.

I don't see where it's mentioned how many miles your Fuel Pump may have on it. An E46 Fuel Pump may go 150k miles, it may only go 60k miles, it may go 200k miles. To tell if yours is original to the car, with that round cover off, look at the clamp on the fuel OUT line. If it's one of those 'pressed on single use' clamps and the top of your fuel pump is rather dirty, it's probably original and should be replaced.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I have multiple issues right now. I disconnected the FSR and am charging the battery. The key will turn to position 2nand lights comes on and cluster but that's it, no ignition or anything. Before it would at least try to start. So maybe the battery is dead. Everything was fine on my out here to visit family. It was a long trip but everything was fine, till the blower stayed on one day and I didn't realize it and it drained the battery so I bought a jump starter and then 2 days later wouldn't start. .

·
Registered
15,446 Posts
The best bang for the buck is Exide 94R battery, you can find it at local Home Depot for $129.
I'd start with a new battery and see what happens...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I think I have multiple issues right now. I disconnected the FSR and am charging the battery. The key will turn to position 2nand lights comes on and cluster but that's it, no ignition or anything. Before it would at least try to start. So maybe the battery is dead. Everything was fine on my out here to visit family. It was a long trip but everything was fine, till the blower stayed on one day and I didn't realize it and it drained the battery so I bought a jump starter and then 2 days later wouldn't start. .
If you can't get enough charge in the battery, at least 12V, replace it. These E46 cars are very electrically dependent.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
25,356 Posts
I think the FSR has been slowly failing for a long time...deeply discharging your battery, but you didnt notice it. Eventually, the battery was too damaged and the FSR went into 'full failure'.

JMHO

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think you're right. So I replaced battery and FSR. Found a great guide and besides being in a hot black car in the desert with my head in the glovebox, wasn't too bad. I'm still getting wired stuff like the all windows button rolls down all but only rolls up 1, 2 or 3 windows at a time and changes often. I know I've got a short or a few somewhere code just says short to U-batt. Speakers make a loud noise but then when I turn the car it disappears, and the deck lid no longer operates on its own so the top isn't functioning 100% in its own. BMWs motto.... Do you need a hobby? Get a BMW! Lol 😆 can be so frustrating sometimes but I love this car!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts