BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the airbag light come on. Took to excellent independent shop in St Louis that only uses BMW trained techs, only fixes BMW or MINI, and has the full BMW computers. They read code and said drivers door airbag bad. Changed it and light came back on two days later saying passenger side bad. Changed passenger side and cleaned connections, next day light comes on and said passenger side bad again. They thought it was possibly a bad Air Bag Control Module. Changed that and light went off for two days. I go to pickup car and airbag light is on without pulling off lot. Now they want to start chasing wires down. I am confident they will find the problem, just looking to see if anyone else has had this issue. Car is all factory. No modifications and no accidents.

·
2004 E53 diesel
62 Posts
What reader are they using? I had a right hand side door airbag issue in my E39 which was the side impact sensor faulty. Happened because my sunroof drain was blocked and the carpet got wet from water running down the a pillar. On the E39 the side impact sensor is on the floor under the front seat below carpet. Probably the same on the x5 - maybe someone can confirm.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Resolve

Good news. Independent shop found a pinched wire. Don't have location yet, but will post when I find out. Glad he ran down the problem instead of throwing new parts at the problem. Shop is testing the vehicle now. I will pick up on Thursday and post more info.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wire in passenger door was causing the problem. Had replaced drivers airbag and then unit said passengers side bad. Changed passenger and said drivers now bad. Switched out new/ used Airbag Control Unit twice with same results. Traced down the wires to damaged wire in passenger door. Took eight hours of labor. All working now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts