Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have a 2016 F31 328i wagon with standard suspension. On two occasions the car did something strange and unexpected. My wife was taking a curve at about 65 mph, the curve being quite easy to handle at that speed and she has done it many times (in fact the car easily takes that curve at 75+). At any rate, she drove a bit too close to the median, sensed that she was doing it and steered a bit away from it. All of a sudden the car pulled sharply to the right nearly colliding with a car in the adjacent lane. My wife corrected back into her lane. I saw her hands on the wheel and I know her initial input was very minor. A week later the car did something similar: my wife gently steered in one direction, only to have the car begin a sharp swerving motion which she had to correct. Road conditions were very good. Sunny day, cold weather but no rain, no ice, no snow. Our car's tires did have worn tread (Continental run-flats on 17 inch wheels). We hve had no issue with the brakes. This did not happen a third time.

I wrote detailed notes for our dealer and wanted the technician to investigate. Unfortunately, the night before our service appointment it was snowing hard. Our car was in a 8-10 mph turn at an intersection which had a slight grade and the car slid sideways into the curb. The right front wheel struck the curb and the car bounced off. At the dealership the tech determined we damaged the subframe and the steering gear. So there is no chance now to reproduce or simulate the original problem.

Anybody want to take a guess at wha this strange behavior (weeks before the curb collission) could have meant? Was it the traction control? Lane keeping problem? Something out of alignment?

Our car will be in the dealer's shop for a week. Repairs likely to cost about $8,000.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Here is a good thread that is relevant to the issue you are experiencing, and also describes the BMW service campaign (in Canada) and extended warranty advisory (in US) for effected F30 vehicles.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469927
Interesting that thread ...... we received a letter from BMW yesterday extending the warranty on the power steering motor mounting bolts on our 2014 328i to 120,000 miles!

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
We have a 2016 F31 328i wagon with standard suspension. On two occasions the car did something strange and unexpected. My wife was taking a curve at about 65 mph, the curve being quite easy to handle at that speed and she has done it many times (in fact the car easily takes that curve at 75+). At any rate, she drove a bit too close to the median, sensed that she was doing it and steered a bit away from it. All of a sudden the car pulled sharply to the right nearly colliding with a car in the adjacent lane. My wife corrected back into her lane. I saw her hands on the wheel and I know her initial input was very minor. A week later the car did something similar: my wife gently steered in one direction, only to have the car begin a sharp swerving motion which she had to correct. Road conditions were very good. Sunny day, cold weather but no rain, no ice, no snow. Our car's tires did have worn tread (Continental run-flats on 17 inch wheels). We hve had no issue with the brakes. This did not happen a third time.

I wrote detailed notes for our dealer and wanted the technician to investigate. Unfortunately, the night before our service appointment it was snowing hard. Our car was in a 8-10 mph turn at an intersection which had a slight grade and the car slid sideways into the curb. The right front wheel struck the curb and the car bounced off. At the dealership the tech determined we damaged the subframe and the steering gear. So there is no chance now to reproduce or simulate the original problem.

Anybody want to take a guess at wha this strange behavior (weeks before the curb collission) could have meant? Was it the traction control? Lane keeping problem? Something out of alignment?

Our car will be in the dealer's shop for a week. Repairs likely to cost about $8,000.
I had something similar with my 330i and the dealership replaced the rack and pinion and steering box however, now BMW will say it's because of the accident...

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Raryel has two possible paths. One is to claim the damage under the auto insurance policy. The other is to fight it out with BMW. The car accident may well have been caused by steering problems but it will take a lot of work to prove it. I would just let insurance take care of any damage.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My new BMW 335 with sport package is an exceptional car to drive and travel in.The fuel cost is better than I believed it could be taking in to consideration the torque and power this BMW has.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
My new BMW 335 with sport package is an exceptional car to drive and travel in.The fuel cost is better than I believed it could be taking in to consideration the torque and power this BMW has.
What does this have to do with the subject at hand????

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you for this information. I have had my 2017 330 wagon for just over a year. Sometime last summer the steering wheel is turned slightly right while driving straight ahead. It does not "pull" like an alignment issue. And, there have been some instances recently where the steering seems disconnect as if I am sliding on ice though the road is clear. Maybe hitting a depressed manhole in downtown STL caused a break in something. My 2001 330 ci had several control arm breaks on the same roads. I'll have the steering checked while I take the car in for a coolant issue - losing coolant????

1 - 9 of 9 Posts