BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, can anyone offer any suggestions as to why my climate control will sometimes just randomly take itself out of AUTO mode and switch to manual?

It did it a few times a couple of months ago on the passenger side, but in the last 2 days it's happened about 6 times on the driver's side.

I'll be driving along with both sides on AUTO, and without any input from me either side will just switch to manual by itself. I'll press AUTO and most of the time it'll go back to AUTO, but sometimes it'll need 2 or 3 presses. Really annoying!

· Banned
252 Posts
Hi all, can anyone offer any suggestions as to why my climate control will sometimes just randomly take itself out of AUTO mode and switch to manual?

It did it a few times a couple of months ago on the passenger side, but in the last 2 days it's happened about 6 times on the driver's side.

I'll be driving along with both sides on AUTO, and without any input from me either side will just switch to manual by itself. I'll press AUTO and most of the time it'll go back to AUTO, but sometimes it'll need 2 or 3 presses. Really annoying!
Ive had this happen as well. Ive only used the same keyfob but only have used it without inserting (comfort access). I noticed, my manual fan speed was turned all the way up. I turned the fan speed down and since then the AUTO mode has invoked each time I have started the car. My guess its a software thing, not coded exactly right to ignore the prior manual fan speed setting at start up.

· Registered
327 Posts
I have seen this issue on alot of 7's including my own. 99% of the time there is a malfunction in the climate control panel itself. If you tap on the wood/vents above the control panel with the system off and the car running does it turn the system on? If this is the case there is a short in the fan speed control knob. To remedy this issue you will need to replace the control panel.

· Registered
38 Posts
Mine just got back from having the control panel replaced. I was having the same problem that got worse over time. It would come out of Auto when it wanted. If I had the windows down and the systems off, it would just come on. I could reproduce the problem by pushing just under the fan controls. Would also mess with the auto re-circulate option. I could hear the system go in and out of circulate mode every minute or so.

Panel replaced and system works an intended.

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So is this a new updated part that's been fitted? Or just a replacement of the original part?

I've just checked realOEM and they only have 1 part number listed for the facelift, as of 03/2005.

Would you be able to check your invoice or work order for the part number they supplied?

· Registered
515 Posts
I've had the same issue with Auto not staying selected. I found the fan knob needed to be in one of the "detent" positions. It does not like being half-way between "clicks", although it is more of a feel than a sound.

· Major
2,406 Posts
So is this a new updated part that's been fitted? Or just a replacement of the original part?

I've just checked realOEM and they only have 1 part number listed for the facelift, as of 03/2005.

Would you be able to check your invoice or work order for the part number they supplied?
There are many of them on ebay. They have metal around the dials. But if i remember correctly its a bit different then prefacelift one. Means ull need trim for the push button and cd changer changed in order to fit facelift part. Might as well change light switch to facelift as well

· Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just noticed that sometimes, even just the slightest touch of the metal outer dial of either of the blower controls will result in AUTO mode disengaging. I wonder if it could be an electrostatic issue feeding back to the circuit board and causing this error, given that these are metal parts? Either that, or they're just overly-sensitive rheostats.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.