BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 months ago I was starting to drive the car and it gave an alert on the dash that said "Trans fail safe mode" and the steering wheel moved up like when you turn off the car. Later I found out that it was because of the bolt missing in the battery cable which was making it loose and creating a bad connection with the battery lead. I couldnt find another bolt that would fit it so I put a vice clamp on it and the steering wheel issue stopped. But now certain things dont work like the radio wont turn on, the rear window sunscreen wont go up and down, the heated seats wont work, etc. Its like certain parts of the dash has no power to it or something. I checked the fuses and they're all good. Has anyone had this happen or know what could be going on? I hope its not a short somewhere...

· Registered
835 Posts
I have not had these issues before but apparently and according to many posts that I have come across on this forum, low battery voltage can be the cause of these kinds of things. It is like a ghost.

I would undue your battery terminals. Then tie the positive and negative together with a vise grip and turn your ignition all the way on to get a good drain of your cars system. Remember the battery is completely disconnected before you turn ignition all the way on. ( you are not tying the battery terminals together but rather the thick cables from your car ) During this period of time, I would charge your battery for a couple of hours.

Afterwards TURN THE IGNITION OFF FIRST!!!! Then reconnect the battery terminals and see what happens. Remember to turn your ignition off and remove the key for good measure before you reconnect the cables to the battery!!!

If this solves your issues then your battery is gone. Go to Wal-Mart and they have our battery for about $160.00 +- Easy peasy.

Good luck.

· Old School
4,146 Posts
+1 on above. Also if your fuses are the opaque ceramic ones change them all to the newer, transparent plastic ones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.