BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a complete loss on what's going on. I have a 2006 525i with 148K miles. I had the CCC replaced about 5 months ago for what it's worth. About a month ago I'd go to start the car and as I went through the startup sequence and turned the ignition key everything would light up and come on. During that motion just before the car turned over everything would go dark - a complete loss of electrical power. Dead as door nail; no interior lights, nothing. I would check the battery compartment; no water or moisture, all fuses fine. I'd wiggle the battery terminal wires (new battery btw) and within a few minutes the power would pop back on and the car would start fine. It did this two more times over a 3 week period. It appears to be getting worse. Over the weekend I was driving 75mph on the highway and everything went dark, gauges all dropped to zero, iDrive display rebooted the whole 10 yards. It lasted a mere second but car misfired then came back on. This happend twice over a 5 minute time span then it was fine the rest of the trip. Any ideas? I travel A LOT and need to depend on this car but now I'm concerned I'm going to get stranded eventually. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
This sounds like a problem with one of the battery terminals making contact with the battery post. Remove each cable from the battery and make sure there is no corrosion in between. Use battery post/terminal cleaner purchased anywhere. Make sure the battery terminal screws are tight. This should solve your problem.
On a side note, my old Dodge Dart Sport did the same thing - when cranking, everything kept suddenly going totally dead until I got out and fiddled with the battery cables. I put aluminum foil over the posts and retightened the terminals over the foil. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you 2chill. You're right on. Just took it to a BMW dealer and they said my positive battery cable needs to be replaced at a tune of $1000!!! Essentially the clamp is faulty and is not making good contact with the battery terminal. I'm going to try a home remedy first before spending a grand for a new cable.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.