BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a local BMW dealer today looking to test drive the 550i and the salesperson all but told me I should not buy the 550i and that the 535Xi was essentially the same car but quicker, cheaper, with the same look, and safer to boot with the all wheel drive. She told me that they were not even going to order them for their dealership as the 535 had made the 550i essentially obsolete. They had one at the dealership but I wasn't encouraged to test drive it. ( it was an '08 discounted $6000)After I pointed out the differences, I asked her to search the region and we identified 99 550i's in the midwest region, with 7 in the Chicago area. When she asked if I wanted her to have it brought in, I politely said "no" ands left.
Strange behavior in these economic times.
DocBob

·
Registered
820 Posts
Went to a local BMW dealer today looking to test drive the 550i and the salesperson all but told me I should not buy the 550i and that the 535Xi was essentially the same car but quicker, cheaper, with the same look, and safer to boot with the all wheel drive. She told me that they were not even going to order them for their dealership as the 535 had made the 550i essentially obsolete. They had one at the dealership but I wasn't encouraged to test drive it. ( it was an '08 discounted $6000)After I pointed out the differences, I asked her to search the region and we identified 99 550i's in the midwest region, with 7 in the Chicago area. When she asked if I wanted her to have it brought in, I politely said "no" ands left.
DocBob
Strange indeed. Nice way for them to lose a sale in these tough times. While the power difference may not be much different, there still is a difference. And it is not for her to question why someone may want the V8 over a TT V6. Not to mention, adding the sport package to the 550i drastically changes the look over the 535i with or without sport. Go get your car somewhere else.

·
Registered
820 Posts
To add to my above comment, a co-worker of mine was coming out of a 550i lease and was talked into a 535i lease instead by the sales person who told him basically the same thing. While I think he is really happy with the choice, he definitely notices the difference between the two. There may not be much lag with the TT, but there still is some and that is the biggest difference he notices. Me, coming from a 530i, well I am as happy as a clam. lol

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have the 550 and wife has a 535i TT, both 2008 models.

No doubt that the 535 is awesome, gets a couple more (1 or 2) mpg on the highway when driven comparably,but...as good as the 535 feels it AIN'T a V8!

I like the 535, but I LOVE the 550! WOOF!

·
Registered
884 Posts
i have a 209 535xi and a 2007 650. the 535 is not as quick as the 650 [close to 550] and the 535 lacks the sport handling. if you want slopey cornering then get 535xi. the 550 and 535xi are two different cars. im finding the 535xi is not as fuel efficient as my 650. if they would only offer the 550 in a awd i wold go that way.

·
Registered
820 Posts
i have a 209 535xi and a 2007 650. the 535 is not as quick as the 650 [close to 550] and the 535 lacks the sport handling. if you want slopey cornering then get 535xi. the 550 and 535xi are two different cars. im finding the 535xi is not as fuel efficient as my 650. if they would only offer the 550 in a awd i wold go that way.
But the 535i with sport handles just the same as a 550i with sport. It's the xDrive that throws it off.

·
Lazy Lightning
254 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
DocBob
Salespeople are hired to sell what is there to be sold. Clearly, her job in this case was to move 535xi's and that's what she is doing...Can't fault her for that. Most people that are looking for a BMW (the 99.9% that don't come to e60 forum on bimmerfest), probably don't know the difference between these two cars, so when a 'qualified' person such as a BMW salesperson tells them the two cars are the same, they will probably find value in her advice. Sucks that she clumped you into this category, because it probably cost her a sale, but I'm sure that she already forgot about you and is moving on.

·
DocBob
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Even if that were the case, I would assume that the dealer knows most BMW drivers/owners/purchasers are knowledgeable people and have a reason for shopping a certain vehicle. She persisted even after I discussed color option(Carbon Black), Sport Package, interior detail, wheel size, and perforated seats with nasca leather. She had been selling there for 12 years. I think your correct though about overstock on 535's. Interestingly enough, their 535xi's were all roughly the same- premium, cold weather, but none with sport package or HUD. I think it was just a bad dealership on a bad day. When we searched locally, I noticed that one dealer had 3 Carbon Black 550i Sports that were loaded. I wonder how that allotment or order was decided?
DocBob

·
sheriff of nothingham
257 Posts
that is to me far from the strangest conversation i've heard about with a bmw dealer but that said, i really think you should get a 550i sport :) bad ass car :)

·
<- Bailey
7,656 Posts
Even if that were the case, I would assume that the dealer knows most BMW drivers/owners/purchasers are knowledgeable people and have a reason for shopping a certain vehicle. She persisted even after I discussed color option(Carbon Black), Sport Package, interior detail, wheel size, and perforated seats with nasca leather. She had been selling there for 12 years. I think your correct though about overstock on 535's. Interestingly enough, their 535xi's were all roughly the same- premium, cold weather, but none with sport package or HUD. I think it was just a bad dealership on a bad day. When we searched locally, I noticed that one dealer had 3 Carbon Black 550i Sports that were loaded. I wonder how that allotment or order was decided?
DocBob
Sorry, but no. Most BMW drivers are NOT knowlegeable people. My bro-in-law has a 325, his wife leased a 328xi and they think they both drive the same. Then, getting in my car, they basically thought that the only difference was that my car was a bit bigger. They said, since we can all get our cars up to 70mph, what is the difference?

Most car buyers don't know squat about their cars.

·
Registered
791 Posts
DocBob
Most sales people are dips, they obviously have no selection of 550i's since they only had one and it's probably so heavily discounted the sales person or dealer won't make any money on it. It really gets ridiculous when you have to push a sales person to let you buy the car you want...

My dealership and sales person know me. I have bought four cars from the same guy and have the same SA woman for every service visit. They know me, they know I know my cars and they don't screw with me.

·
Lazy Lightning
254 Posts
If it's any consolation, I went in to trade my E-class for a 535xi, and came out with a 550. The salesman saw me looking at it and he got my number good.

·
Registered
995 Posts
DocBob
She's obviously trying to get rid of the 535xi that is sitting on the lot, possibly for quite some time. This could have been on the lot since 2007!

When I was in the market for my 535i, nobody would call me back even when I was willing to pay $1500 over invoice for a custom order. They wanted to sell the stuff on the lot. They were even less interested when they found I was calling different dealerships, which I find wierd. I had one person in south florida trying to sell me a 2008 bronze 535i without the sport package for over 6000 off of MSRP. Not such a good deal as I don't like the color and it did not have the sport package. Plus it was sitting on the lot for over a year.

·
Registered
820 Posts
If it's any consolation, I went in to trade my E-class for a 535xi, and came out with a 550. The salesman saw me looking at it and he got my number good.
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Hilarious! Enjoy it. Gorgeous car.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a similar experience shopping for a CPO. I came for a 530, dealer kept pushing a 330. Had to threaten to walk to get him to drop the 330.
As others said, they're pushing inventory that they want to move off the lot and are assuming that most folks aren't educated enough to know the difference.
Not saying all salespeople do it, but I've experienced it often.

·
2007 550i, '13 X5, '02 X5
691 Posts
I agree with the recent posters - they're trying to move the inventory on the lot. Keep in mind that most dealerships floor plan (finance) the vehicles on the lot and most likely are paying 6% interest or more for them. Given that BMWUSA is now advertising 0.9% financing, plus they'll make the first two payments for you, the BMW mother ship is expecting the dealers to move the inventory to make room for the cars on the assembly line. Just think, that saleswoman that morning may have had a sales meeting with her sales manager and in this bad economy, the message to her was probably, sell a car today, or else. Well, when my boss tells me to do something, my priorities take a back seat until the task is complete. It's nothing more than that. Salespeople are driven and motivated to do whatever it takes to do the task - sell the car. :(

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I would assume that the dealer knows most BMW drivers/owners/purchasers are knowledgeable people and have a reason for shopping a certain vehicle.
Uh...no.

Funny story...It turns out a coworker of mine bought a cpo 530xi from my salesperson (by coincedence) a few months back. As the story goes, he came to the dealership after speaking with someone there who told him that a car he saw on their website was available. So he goes to the dealership and asks my sp to see the car. My sp can't find it. It doesn't show in the inventory, it's not on any of their lots. So he makes a few calls to his managers and to make a long story short, the car finally popped up. Turns out someone had purchased the car from the Internet department, but when they came in to pick up the car, they were horrified to find out that it was equipped with a stick. Needless to say, the sale was being cancelled and my coworker benefited from someone else's ignorance.

It's these types of stories that we hear that reinforce the fact that people sometimes have no clue around what's happening.

Interestingly enough, their 535xi's were all roughly the same- premium, cold weather, but none with sport package or HUD.
Yup...that's what most dealers order...Auto/Premium/Cold. It's the standard package for the standard customer. And like Baskin Robbins, it comes in 31 colors.:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Oh, and by the way, since I haven't mentioned it...it's YOUR money that you probably worked hard to earn, buy the car that YOU want to buy. There's nothing wrong with a salesperson feeling you out to see what you're interested in, however if you're in there to buy a Carbon Black 550i with Auburn leather then that's what you should be driving home...regardless of what I or anyone else in the state of Illinois think.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts