BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

After replacing the front control arms tie rods and sway bar links, the car started to have this noise when turning the steering wheel. I have also done alignment on the car. It drives very good now except for the annoying noise.
do the sway bar links have up and down side and left and right? If they do I’m in trouble.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I finally got some relief. I had my son sitting behind the wheel and turning the steering wheel while I was under and above the car trying to pin point the annoying noise. By placing my ear on the top of the right struts, the noise was pronounced on the right struts. I removed the top rubber cap of the struts and spread it with lubricants lithium I
Also spread it from underneath and the noise was gone.

·
Anti-Hack
6,388 Posts
Are you sure the strut mounts/bearings are assembled correctly? If assembled out of order, the rubber bushing will bind and you’ll get the squeaking noise, along with destroying the mount.

Via the interwebs

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The struts are the only parts of the suspensions I did not replace. I think they are still the original ones. Since the car drives very Smooth and solid on the ground, I don’t know if I need to replace them or just save my money for now. It has160 K miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts