BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting this strange whining noise when I lift off the gas pedal when traveling over 60 mph. Once I step back on the pedal, the noise goes away. The sound isn't very loud but annoying. I thought it might be the tires resonationg but the noise isn't consistent. It sounds like it is coming from the engine but hard to tell. I first noticed it at about 7000 miles. I'm at almost 9000 now. Did an oil change but the sound is still there.
Help!!:cry:

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Mdk330i said:
I've been getting this strange whining noise when I lift off the gas pedal when traveling over 60 mph. Once I step back on the pedal, the noise goes away. The sound isn't very loud but annoying. I thought it might be the tires resonationg but the noise isn't consistent. It sounds like it is coming from the engine but hard to tell. I first noticed it at about 7000 miles. I'm at almost 9000 now. Did an oil change but the sound is still there.
Help!!:cry:
Do a search on "differential whine" both here and at .org and you SHOULD find some information on a TSB on this.

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HACK. Will do.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
I forgot who it was but I remember that someone posted they had the dealer fix it . . . I know it was on this board I think it was a few weeks ago but I am not sure

try doing a search under 'differential' or under 'noise'

G

·
Anyone else think it might be smart to just take it in (it's under warranty) and have a service tech ride along to hear the noice themself?

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
mdk-

I had a (potentially) similar problem which my dealer fixed by performing a TSB to add a butyl tape insulation strip to the driveshaft center bearing. If it happens with just a little throttle applied- this is probably your problem. Anyway, search for differential whine-- and my username and you'll find a bunch of posts on this topic.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
robg said:
mdk-

I had a (potentially) similar problem which my dealer fixed by performing a TSB to add a butyl tape insulation strip to the driveshaft center bearing. If it happens with just a little throttle applied- this is probably your problem. Anyway, search for differential whine-- and my username and you'll find a bunch of posts on this topic.
rob, it seems that everything has gone wrong with your car. Maybe I'm only noticing certain posts? :dunno:

·
paddle shifter
931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Everyone has been very helpful. I'm pretty sure it's the differential. It whines after lifting off the throttle just like everyone has explained. I'm going to call the dealer and get it fixed. That noise is driving me crazy. Even worse now that I know what it is. I think I even hear it in my sleep.:tsk:

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
Mystikal-

Surprisingly, I don't feel that way. Aside from my steering retrofit debacle, my problems have been related to rattles (which I think we all have but some of us notice more than others)- and this whining sound-- which was actually fixed quickly and effectively w/ the butyl tape. I haven't had any type of mechanical or electrical problem. My main source of agony is that I've been to several dealers multiple times trying to figure out what's wrong w/ my steering after the retrofit. It feels like it wanders a lot and doesn't have a firm on-center feeling. There's a possibility that i'm just imagining things, since of course i'm now very sensitive to steering feel-- but i'm going to try and meet up w/ another postr on this board so that I can drive another retro'd car and know if mine is "normal" or not.

I admit that in my darker moments I consider trading the car for something else, but:
-I could end up having much, much worse problems w/ another car.
-What would I get? Every car out there has some much more "fatal flaw" in design, feel, cost, and/or predicted reliability etc that would make it very hard for me to choose something better. This includes the 02 3 series w/ the funny front bumper and rear lights-- i just can't quite warm up to it.

I have learned that one of the things I really value in a car is the traditional german "vault-like" build, feel and material quality. That means strong self-centering steering, absolutely no rattles or squeaks, no cheesy plastics, perfect fit and finish, solid deep door thunk sound, overall solid feeling when driving. The new car that comes closest to this ideal would be an e39 5 series-- but its a bit too expensive and a bit too big for my tastes. Short of that, a used pre-1995 Mercedes would also fit the bill, but I think i'd end up being unhappy w/ the handling. The pinnacle of build quality to me would be those late 70s, early 80s Merc ("E classes"), I think they were called the W123-- the ones you still see chugging around in europe as taxis with over a million miles on them.

So, my 2001 3 series ends up being the best balance of looks, performance, practicality, build-quality, and cost for my tastes/needs. I might consider getting an end-of-run 330i sp in 2005 (or whenever it is) so I could get an E46 w/ all of the bugs worked out (and probably a good deal). I think the e46 is going to be the last BMW that I'll like--so doing this would kind be like storing up food for a long winter.

Sorry for the long and off-topic post (and going into way too much detail). :D

·
Slacker Extraordinaire
1,817 Posts
Let me get this straight .....

They fixed the differential whine by applying some sort of "tape" on the center driveshaft bearing mount? Is that right??

Man, that seems more like a temporary "fix" to me, but then again, I really haven't seen what this "insulation strip" looks like.

Just doesn't seem like a very durable and permanent fix to me. :dunno:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts