·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed something weird about how my car shifts gears. For example:

1) I'm in 3rd gear
2) I take my foot off the accelerator, and push in the clutch all the way
3) I downshift to 2nd gear.
4) The clutch is still in, foot still off the accelerator, but the car immediately revs to a higher RPM as soon as I put it in 2nd.

It's like the car is trying to preemptively match my RPMs to my speed. To use software terminology, is this a "bug", or is it a "feature"? If it's a feature, I don't think I like it, it's kind of taking the "manual" out of manual transmission.

- Dave

·
Registered
394 Posts
Do you have the cruise control on? The cruise in the 550i doesn't disengage when you put in the clutch. If you shift quickly, you won't notice it, but you may note that the car doesn't slow down.

On most of the cars I've had, pressing in the clutch disengaged the cruise control. It doesn't on the 550i, and it didn't on my 335i, which had adaptive cruise control. My usual trick of downshifting out of 6th as I approach an exit ramp doesn't work on this car -- I have to press the bottom button on the left side of the steering wheel to shut off the cruise control.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but no - I never even use cruise control. So your car doesn't do this?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you think it's normal? Doesn't it bother you?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strange, is it annoying? Seems like it would take the joy out of having a standard. :dunno:
I wouldn't say it takes all the joy out of having a standard, but it is annoying.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How many miles on the car? I wonder if this is a safety mechanism that auto-disables after the break-in period. :dunno:
I've got about 1000 miles on the car. Leewoods says that his car does the same thing. Anyone else out there with a 6MT? I'm starting to think it's normal. At least I'd like an explanation for why it does this?

I did email my service guy at the dealer's. He said that "it might be normal", and wants me to bring it in for a test drive. Sounds like he doesn't know about the "feature" either, or he'd know whether or not it was normal.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Here is your answer.

It is normal.

"Also of interest: this is BMW***8217;s first manual transmission that automatically matches revs as you downshift. We found no mention of it in the official press information but the 6-speed in the press car we drove clearly matched revs (if the driver doesn***8217;t) upon downshift. "

http://bmwsocialnetwork.com/index.p...tem/237-2012-bmw-650i-coupe-|-bimmerfile.html

I guess you don't need to to heel and toe. Just press clutch while staying on the gas and shift gears as needed.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Here is your answer.

It is normal.

"Also of interest: this is BMW's first manual transmission that automatically matches revs as you downshift. We found no mention of it in the official press information but the 6-speed in the press car we drove clearly matched revs (if the driver doesn't) upon downshift. "

http://bmwsocialnetwork.com/index.p...tem/237-2012-bmw-650i-coupe-|-bimmerfile.html

I guess you don't need to to heel and toe. Just press clutch while staying on the gas and shift gears as needed.
Truly aggressive driving is gone then with hairpins or such, you drop 3 gears or so while braking and blow the engine: got to be more to it than that.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is your answer.

It is normal.

"Also of interest: this is BMW's first manual transmission that automatically matches revs as you downshift. We found no mention of it in the official press information but the 6-speed in the press car we drove clearly matched revs (if the driver doesn't) upon downshift. "

Thanks! That clears it up then. I guess I need to change the way I drive. I downshift most often to slow down, not to accellerate. When I do it, I take my foot off the gas altogether when I shift. I know this isn't strictly recommended - just use the brakes to slow down, but it's more fun for me to drive this way.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Truly aggressive driving is gone then with hairpins or such, you drop 3 gears or so while braking and blow the engine: got to be more to it than that.
It has to be smart enough not to over-rev the car if you downshift by 3 gears.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Thanks! That clears it up then. I guess I need to change the way I drive. I downshift most often to slow down, not to accellerate. When I do it, I take my foot off the gas altogether when I shift. I know this isn't strictly recommended - just use the brakes to slow down, but it's more fun for me to drive this way.
You may want to get this on the 6 series forum as well.

If you can lobby enough interest, maybe you can convince DVDinMotion to create a patch to disable.

They already have patches that disabled the legal disclaimer screen and allow video in motion, which includes viewing owners manuals, using BMW Online, etc. while the car is moving. This is how the cars are configured ion Europe. They are merely enabling the European settings.

I suspect the downshift feature is a simple setting in the software (Windows registry?, not sure what the new iDrive code is based on Linux/Windows) that just needs to be unchecked.

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts
Interesting, sounds like Nissan's Synchro Match that they have on the 370Z's manual box. But with that, you can disable with the push of a button.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You may want to get this on the 6 series forum as well.

If you can lobby enough interest, maybe you can convince DVDinMotion to create a patch to disable.

They already have patches that disabled the legal disclaimer screen and allow video in motion, which includes viewing owners manuals, using BMW Online, etc. while the car is moving. This is how the cars are configured ion Europe. They are merely enabling the European settings.

I suspect the downshift feature is a simple setting in the Windows registry that just needs to be unchecked.
Windows Registry? Are you serious? These cars don't use a Windows OS, do they?

Thanks for the suggestion to try the 650 forum, good idea. There must be more manual transmission owners there.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.