BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I went to get into my vehicle to move it briefly. I was in a bit of a rush so I think I grabbed hold of the steering wheel with more force than normal and started it quickly before letting the steering wheel adjust to it's driving position.

As soon as the car started immediately I got an active steering malfunction and the steering became stiff. When I got home I scanned it and had two codes, pointing to the steering angle sensor.

HOWEVER, what is strange to me is ever since I tried to do a calibration in INPA, the steering wheel no longer is straight while driving, even thought I have all new suspension and did a perfect alignment a month ago. The morning of, the car was driving perfectly straight. I can not understand how the steering managed to shift itself without being adjusted manually by the tie rods. I have tried to adjust it several times since this via INPA and nothing, I even reset the ECU in INPA and no luck. It is almost like I have to do another alignment again but this doesn't make sense considering nothing mechanical has been touched.

Hoping one of the guru's can shed some light on this.

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
I've had similar but not from the same cause. After doing some work on the car (not steering related) I reconnected the battery and as always you get the active steering reset to do, since I was resetting some modules I used INPA to reset this yet it didn't touch it, the wheel was a little under 45° out, neither INPA nor DIS would do it, in the end I had to do several manual resets (the lock to lock one) and a battery charge then the fault cleared and the wheel was straight again.
I'm not sure the battery charging was really anything to do with it, I simply did that since I'd had the laptop connected for a while after the work.
I think it took about three manual resets in the end, to this day I never did get to the bottom of it but a few weeks after the problem I did do the SZL cleaning on the optical disc, that was pretty grubby.

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
Did you have the steering wheel locked down why the alignment was being done? I have also been told by a BMW tech to leave the car running while the alignment is being done, that way the active steering knows whats going on.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you have the steering wheel locked down why the alignment was being done? I have also been told by a BMW tech to leave the car running while the alignment is being done, that way the active steering knows whats going on.
I've done about 5 alignments on this car since I've owned it. I do lock down the steering wheel, but I usually do it with the car off. Never had an issue. Always tracks straight afterwards.

@HSurf you're spot on sir! Thank you.

I did the manual active steering reset twice, let it sit overnight, and woke up to a straight steering wheel. Really strange.

I found a few similar threads pointing to water getting into the module, and yesterday it was pouring rain crazy, but I unclogged my drain tubes a while back.

The only thing I checked today was my battery which is doing okay but not great. Tested 450CCA out of 800+cca (forgot what OEM battery is).

So it was either the rain or the battery IMO.

Hope this helps someone in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts