BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Strange things going on my 525i...

1253 11
Hi there amigos!

I have a 525i 2001 M sport, few weeks ago I was driving and suddenly the CD stopped working but the radio was on with the sound to the max, no controls from steering for radio and no way to stop it not even fromthe knob, I have the original sound system, "executive" or something...no GPS...

Then realized the green arrows on the dashboard didn't wortk either but the indicators did work...

Next day went to the car and acouldn't open with the remote.. sat inside and as I turned the key all locks locked the doors... after digging here and there on different forums found the relay 53 stuff, checked all fuses, glove box and trunk all were ok but I removed the 53 and then put it again... that did the magic, everything worked again remote included...

Then reseted oil change green lights on dashboard and did that cool test about odometer when everything lights up and moves...and since then remote stop workin, checked battery on key fob all fuses, disconected battery 15 minutes...tried all... re code the key...nothing works, I can close doors from inside with central locking button and all of them shut but the remote doesn't work at all...when car moves a bit automatically all doors are locked whatt is nice but it was not like this before...

I found about GM3 and ordered one, my question is if is only swap, plug and play or I need to program the GM3 before?...

Thanks in advance family!!

Regards, Arthur.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Sounds like a bad ignition switch.
How can I check that? The car starts and runs perfectly, is only the remote, by the way, few days ago had the same symptoms with the radio and stopped, removed fuse 53 and wasn´t blown, installed again and CD start working normally...

The car locks using the key on the drivers door...but is a hassle when I go with my kid and I have to come back to that door to lock the car when the kid is out...

Regards.
Sounds like a bad ignition switch.
(short video) Signs of a failing ignition switch: (engine running & multiple components turned on (headlights, radio, blow horn etc)...reach up and open a mirror cover on one of the sun visors. If you can get odd electrical gremlins to replicate themselves upon doing the TEST....92% chance the issue is the ignition switch.

(short video) Fixed ignition switch:

(long video) Signs of a failing igntion switch: with instructions on how to replace it

Many thanks!! Will have a look when come back...I am offshore for few more days...will update the outcome, hopefully this is the solution!!:thumbup:

Thanks again!!
(short video) Signs of a failing ignition switch: (engine running & multiple components turned on (headlights, radio, blow horn etc)...reach up and open a mirror cover on one of the sun visors. If you can get odd electrical gremlins to replicate themselves upon doing the TEST....92% chance the issue is the ignition switch.

(short video) Fixed ignition switch:

(long video) Signs of a failing igntion switch: with instructions on how to replace it

Hi again!

I had no chance to replace ignition switch as I haven't received the one I ordered yet...now I am back offshore again:cry:...so hopefully next time off the switch is there...in the mean time will go to presentations and do the right thinh...introduce myself and my BMW...:)

Give me some time and will post all that as I should!:angel:

Beers!!!
Did you do the ignition switch test?
Welcome! I think you will find this to be a very helpful community. I think that it is an equal chance that it is the GM3 or the Ignition Switch. Please make sure to feed back which was the problem when you resolve it.
Hi again!

I had no chance to replace ignition switch as I haven't received the one I ordered yet...now I am back offshore again:cry:...so hopefully next time off the switch is there...in the mean time will go to presentations and do the right thinh...introduce myself and my BMW...:)

Give me some time and will post all that as I should!:angel:

Beers!!!
I don't know what test is that, I just ordered a new switch it looks quite easy to replace and better new than old :thumbup:

I forgot to mention I swapped GM3 and had the same issue remote not working and it was showing trunk open and no chance to adjust clock time so re installed the original one and all works except my sun visor light and remote...

Beers!
Look at answer number five, QSilver7 posted everything there!
Here is another thread about it http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684872
When you changed the GM3, was it coded to your car?
Did you check your wiring loom in the trunk?
Is your fuel door actuator working? If not you may have problems with the locking system.
Do you have a code reader? Maybe a good investment. Creator C310 for instance.
Hi there again, all locks working fine with the key on the barrel...

GM3 was not coded to my car that's why it doesn't work isn't it?...
I will try to code it myself (another project...I will love to mess with this stuff) but not sure what gear I need, I have the programs and manual how to do it but not sure how to plug GM3 to my computer...

Wiring loom to the trunk must be ok, lock is working, unlocking button works, the light inside works fine all lights working...all locks including fuel door working fine.

Thanks for answers guys, will keep this updated.

Beers!!
Well, after changing the ignition switch, the problem still... now I am waiting for a OBD faults reader or how tyou call it...ordered another key with remote to check if the issue is the ket with the remote locking not working.

So...still ongoing...

Cheers!!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.