BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently raced my X5d not too aggressively, and not very long at all(probably around 5-7ish min) and during a hard acceleration moment, the iDrive suddenly said "Engine Malfunction" and something along the lines of "Engine running on reduced output." I thought that was about enough for the poor car considering it was 95 degrees outside :dunno: , so I restarted it and wallah, the malfunction error went away and I had full power again. The thing is that it didn't feel the same anymore, it felt like I lost a considerable amount of horsepower. When I did a typical quick start (left foot on brake, rev up to 3k rpm, lift foot off brake) and instead of the whole car stampeding away from a stop(normal behavior), it was very slow off the line. I did typical pulls from around 50 to 65mph on the highway just to test it out on the way home, and it just didn't feel right, or at least not the way it used too. Im a bit worried now because I think theres something wrong with the transmission.

I'm taking it to BMW to get the brakes replaced but am concerned they might blame me for damaging any internal components. I have yet to drive it again once it has cooled overnight but in the mean time, any ideas on what might have happened?

Thanks

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
post your vin. Love to avoid this used car.

· Registered
773 Posts
The good thing for him is that as long as he doesn't verbalize what he idiotically put in the post the warranty should still fix it.

Since when did 17 year olds drive X5d's...

Jay

· Registered
181 Posts
But jokes aside - another Engine malfunction: reduced power and this time it is 35d? Are the injector systems similar on 35i and 35d? I do not drive the car like he described, but a striking similarity is that the error is happening on acceleration. For me at about 4-5k rpm, and I believe any bmw should take the full tachometer range and just be happy about it... Maybe just a coincidence, of course, but an uncomfortable one. What is going on with those engines :dunno:

· Registered
773 Posts
Could be something as easy as a clogged fuel filter limiting rail pressure. US diesel is notoriously dirty :(

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
But jokes aside - another Engine malfunction: reduced power and this time it is 35d? Are the injector systems similar on 35i and 35d? .......What is going on with those engines :dunno:
Huh? 3 posts? Even 20, and that's "something going on"?!?

I believe any bmw should take the full tachometer range and just be happy about it...
Yes, but NOT standing still with the brakes on!

Thermal abuse to the ATF, torque converter could have occurred if he was abusing the car during this 'aggressive driving'... I drive aggressively (not in the X) but when someone then adds this sily 'quick start' method, you wonder whether their definition isn't then 'abuse'.

Back to the question at hand...without a CODE, this is just stupid speculation.

· Registered
181 Posts
Back to the question at hand...without a CODE, this is just stupid speculation.
Where do you see a speculation? It's a question, that anyone has a right to ask. If you think there is no evidence to link such events, just say so. Despite not so many posts, these things keep showing up, and the number of views for my original thread now exceeds 2000. That is in about 2 months. Not a record in any way, but still a sign of strong general interest. So what is wrong with asking related questions?

· Resident Curmudgeon
27,487 Posts
I'm not really pointing my comments at you.

Back in 2009/2010 (when an E70 was just a glint in many current members eyes) there was a glut of diesel engine issues...lights...reduced power...etc. and eventually via careful collection of codes the story was told. And a recall followed. (and another)...

But the truth is that any time an gas engine starts running lean (fuel delivery issues, air leaks, sensor issues) the DME will protectively pull timing and redece power. There can be many reasons for this- hence unless people actually get the codes (AND NOT WHAT THE MORONIC SA TELLS THEM) we really dont have much to be able to anwer the poster's question....

A

· Registered
181 Posts
I'm not really pointing my comments at you.

Back in 2009/2010 (when an E70 was just a glint in many current members eyes) there was a glut of diesel engine issues...lights...reduced power...etc. and eventually via careful collection of codes the story was told. And a recall followed. (and another)...

But the truth is that any time an gas engine starts running lean (fuel delivery issues, air leaks, sensor issues) the DME will protectively pull timing and redece power. There can be many reasons for this- hence unless people actually get the codes (AND NOT WHAT THE MORONIC SA TELLS THEM) we really dont have much to be able to anwer the poster's question....

A
Agree, collecting data is very important and yes, with ever increasing complexity (and decreasing quality of parts/ingredients) it is harder and harder to find the core of the issue. My SA, who is pretty good and open and does not feed much bs out, tells me they ordered and received new injectors and coils, per bmw puma procedure, and will tell me how that worked tomorrow. Oops, that belongs to the other thread. I will post details there later. Now it looks like a good time to get a :drink: before the long weekend. Cheers!

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol nope it really didn't go as I expected, I was waiting for the usual email alert that someone had replied..never got it. Anyways, I let the car cool down and the next day I drove it normally and it seemed fine, so just to check on it more thoroughly I did the exact same thing I did to it last time which caused the issue in the first place and it seems perfectly normal. I took it to the dealership to get the brakes replaced and they didn't find anything unusual as well. My guess it that it may have been a software bug.

· Registered
784 Posts
It amazes me that someone leases or purchases a 60k plus SUV , beats the piss out of it by thinking it has a high stall torque converter and then states the vehicle has issues ????? If I was going to drive like that, it surely would not be in an X5 Diesel nor any SUV for that matter. :thumbdwn:

· Registered
5,715 Posts
It amazes me that someone leases or purchases a 60k plus SUV , beats the piss out of it by thinking it has a high stall torque converter and then states the vehicle has issues ????? If I was going to drive like that, it surely would not be in an X5 Diesel nor any SUV for that matter. :thumbdwn:
this x100.

OP should have gotten an X5M or Cayenne Turbo S

· Registered
100 Posts
Don't let all the grumps get to you. These vehicles are made to be driven this way. The brake boosting you do is essentially the same as launch control on the X5M, but without all the extra power. Your transmission will be fine. Occasional computer codes and engine hiccups happen, whether you drive the car hard or not.

· Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't let all the grumps get to you. These vehicles are made to be driven this way. The brake boosting you do is essentially the same as launch control on the X5M, but without all the extra power. Your transmission will be fine. Occasional computer codes and engine hiccups happen, whether you drive the car hard or not.
Hahah exactly! I don't see how people don't realize that?? :dunno: I mean people buy ferraris for $150000+ and I'm pretty sure they don't treat them "nicely" when they take them to the track.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.