Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here we go again - my m62tu has yet another problem and I’m not entirely quite sure what it is yet. So what happened was i replaced my vanos solenoids finally, my other thread explained that headache. Now i put everything back together and i ran the car, got it to operating temperature. Come to find out i forgot to re insert my vacuum line on my secondary air pump pipe coming from the top of the intake. And i ran it for a while i didn’t notice anything until i decided to hit the throttle and sure enough i hear a weird vacuum type of noise i don’t know how to explain it. But every time i heard said noise, i felt the back of my intake manifold and it was almost like my OSV was sucking a ton of air and making a humming/whining noise it sounds exactly like a shop vacuum it’s odd. And it only stops when i shut the car off and start it back up. And as soon as i hit the gas the noise comes back. I’ve never heard anything like it until today. Could this be the result of my OSV going bad because i forgot to re connect the vacuum line? Car runs fine other wise Let me know if anybody has opinions, Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Not likely OSV failure because of the line. More likely one of three things
1) another line is disconnected or vacuum leak
2) the CVV isn’t seated properly on the gasket
3) the CVV failed with the vacuum leak

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

RIP: 2003 540iA Sport GS56111
H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What’s the difference between OSV and CVV? Everybody on the forums make them sound like the same part. I replaced the back of the intake manifold with that newer part but it still hums maybe yeah, caused by me forgetting to connect the vacuum line?

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
The CVV (or CCV) is the part on the back of the manifold. The OSV is inside the engine behind the timing chain guides (for the M62). On the I6s, they are integrated parts (I believe, never had one so not sure about that).

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

H&R front springs, Ultimate Cup Holder, Euro Dash & Armrest, Grom, BavSound Stage1

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know if there’s a way to delete the system and bypass it somehow yet maintain intake vacuum?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
By doing a catch can setup.
It can be done but requires several modifications. Google it and ye shall find.
In my mind it is similar to having your mirrors ripped off and, instead of replacing them, bolting on truck mirrors to the sides. It achieves the same effect but might have been easier/better to address the actual problem vice making a work around functional.

2001 750iL DD74441
Stock

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah i just hate the system. It’s cheap and doesn’t keep much oil out of our intake, i just feel it would eliminate a lot of our engines issues with one stone i know everyone’s opinions are different i just feel it would be a better solution to other similar issues

1 - 7 of 7 Posts