BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strong Strut CL Aluminium Strut Brace

Just got mine in and intstalled Monday and wanted to share some thoughts about it after taking the car for a spin last night. With all the talk that sometimes goes on around Strut braces, I thought Id share my thoughts on the one I just got. I spent alot of time talking to independent mechanics, reading threads, and looking at websites.

Background:

I had GTI VR6 that I had done a full suspension mod before (springs, shoks, tie, sways) all at the same time so it was difficult to tell what did what. With the Coupe, the CL Bar was the last to go on so I got a really good feeling for its impact on the car.

Note: I bot the strut brace to take stress off the front welds of the coupe near the strut towers as a prophylactic (sp?) measure for later on down the road as I drive the car really hard. I also got it to see if it would make the steering crisper, more "pointable" and solid feeling when cornering/turning. Many people think that strut bars decrease roll. Stiff spring and shock rates decrease and can eliminate body roll commonly found in the stock suspension setup.

About the hardware and intructions: Fully met expecations. Very nicely welded and structured piece. Very very light at 4lbs. Powder coat was perfect. Intsall was easy. Buying was effortless though paypal and the owner, Paul, did a very nice job keeping me in the loop on shipping dates. Thumbs up to customer service

Driving results: Coupe is really stiff with my suspension. I noticed a difference immediately upon driving. I have to drive out of my driveway sideways because of a gutter. Car"s nose felt tighter as I went slowly over it - less movement. Quick turns...nose and steering felt tighter again...a noticeably more solid feeling and the car was more "pointable" - the best way I can describe it. So from a subjective standpoint, the strut bar made a very noticeable difference in the front end.

For pics and info go here: www.strongstrut.com
under New Alloy Strut

Hope this helps

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok,

Now have another day on the strut brace. Coupe is definitely tighter up front. Very noticeable difference. Steering under cornering load is much, much tighter. I really like the feel....similar to my suspension upgrade....car got much tighter. Feel much less movement when turning wheel back and forth at speed.

Its especially cool that the bar is way way light at 4lbs of aluminum and looks like a piece of art under the hood as well.

Verdict: A Big Trifecta Winner in steering, weld stress removal, and aestheitics.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No.

While I have heard quite good things about it (even the ground control people were intrigued, it wont fit and I dont feel I need it.

With my exhaust and coilover kit, the BS wont fit around the exhaust and will give me NO ground clearance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.