BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
The new alloy strut Paul has seems to address all the "complaints" people had with his previous product. It's both light weight, and it's his pivotless design.

I had his original steel strut on my Roadster and liked it a lot. When I traded to my Coupe, I took the strut-bar off my Roadster and sold it to another Z3'er... haven't really seen much of a need for one on the Coupe... but Paul's new alloy bar looks intriguing.

·
into things retro
4,541 Posts
I haven't started shopping them yet

but what are the top strut braces out there and about how much do they cost? I know ANYTHING from DINAN is expensive.

How much is Strong strut?

How much will the new one from leatherZ cost?

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Re: I haven't started shopping them yet

scottn2retro said:
but what are the top strut braces out there and about how much do they cost? I know ANYTHING from DINAN is expensive.

How much is Strong strut?

How much will the new one from leatherZ cost?
Here's the website; pricing information is there, but mine was about $400 out the door, including shipping and the M strut tower caps. I have one of the steel, pivotless struts, and have been extremely pleased with the effect that it has on the front end of my car. The handling is much sharper. Someone on the web described it as greatly enhanced "pointability," and that's an excellent description.

I haven't used any of the other bars out there, but I like the fact that the SS is pivotless, and as I've said before the quality on the machining is first-rate--it really is a work of industrial art. I believe the weight on the steel bar is 12 lbs, and while I'm all about weight saving, the benefits far outweigh the negligible downsides of adding 12 lbs to the car.

The Dinan bar is about the same price, but not pivotless. Paul actually has a nice comparison section on his website.

Strong Strut

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Strut brace status

My CNC machine guy is back doing things.
Hopefully, a lot of things in the pipeline will come to be.
Dropped off my strut brace model at the CNC place Monday to have them create the prototype. Will be cutting some chips soon. Plan is to have one, powder coated in E36 BMW strut brace black, on my coupe for Homecoming '02.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
scottn2retro said:
Hey Ron -

Sounds nice. I like the one I saw on a M3 ltw. Any way to put little Motorsport logos on it?
>>>Sure. There will be a place for you to add one as shown in the pic, on the drivers side.

What will be your target price?
>>>I have a target, but I have no idea what the real target will be. Should come out competive.
Like adding an OBC to a MZ3, this is just another challenge for me. The OBC was a technical challenge. The strut brace is turning out to be an expensive technical challenge.
Learned a lot in the process. Sort of excited that it may actually come to be.

·
No can drive 55!
134 Posts
Ron, I didn't follow your tread (if there was one) when you did the OBC. Is the M Coupe pre-wired for this at all or did you have to do it all yourself? I remember that retro-adding a OBC to the E36 cars was next to impossible because of the lack of sensors and harness. I really miss my OBC from my Z3 coupe!

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
HaqDeluxe said:
Ron, I didn't follow your tread (if there was one) when you did the OBC. Is the M Coupe pre-wired for this at all or did you have to do it all yourself? I remember that retro-adding a OBC to the E36 cars was next to impossible because of the lack of sensors and harness. I really miss my OBC from my Z3 coupe!
You have to do it all. Easier on a pre '01. Enlarging the center gauge hole to accomodate the OBC is a little tricky. Expensive piece if you screw it up.
Fred Bell recently added the OBC to his '99 M coupe.

·
No can drive 55!
134 Posts
All as in .. there is no prexsisting wiring or sensors? I was hoping that other than getting the OBC into the dash that everything else was a holdover from the Z3 coupe harness...

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Getting back to struts...

Here is a shot of a steel strong strut that I lightened myself.

Attachments

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
HaqDeluxe said:
All as in .. there is no prexsisting wiring or sensors?
There wasn't in either of my M coupes.
Parts data implies that there is a harness in the non M's whether you order the OBC option or not. Haven't found if this is true or not. Maybe Andy M. will check for one when he changes out his console.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.