BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My front struts are gone and need to be replaced. I was going to go with the Bilstein heavy duty, but now I am torn and am thinking about the sports. Do any of you have either of these applications? What is the difference in handling/stiffness from the OEM sport package suspension?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm running the Bilstein Sports with the stock BMW sport springs on my wife's 2001 540iA Sport.
It tightened up the suspension wonderfully without making the car ride harsh.
I definetly recommend them if you have the Sport packag on your 540.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
I've run both the HDs and the SPs on my same car.

The Sports are quite stiff. I have my car set-up stiff and the Sports are almost too stiff for me.

If you are tracking the car then Sports. But if you are just replacing shocks go HD. They are plenty stiff, maybe 20% stiffer than factory sport suspension. You will not be disappointed with HDs.

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
the HDs wont lower the car though, right? I dont want to be bottoming out all over the place.
Correct, the HDs will not lower your car, they will raise it some as I noted above.

·
chillen
1,438 Posts
i have the sports on bavauto sport springs the ride is lowered but i dont even come close to bottoming out at all. the ride is slightly bumpier than b4 but the handeling is increadible.

·
overclock that computer!
233 Posts
franka,
which ones did you wind up keeping on your car. since you indicate the HDs are 20% stiffer then the OEM sports. as you also said the sports were to stiff for your liking, did you then wind up going with some from a non-sport?

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
franka,
which ones did you wind up keeping on your car. since you indicate the HDs are 20% stiffer then the OEM sports. as you also said the sports were to stiff for your liking, did you then wind up going with some from a non-sport?
I'm running the Sports now and I'm ok with them. If I had known how the HDs and SPs were, how they felt, before putting them on, I would have gone for the HDs.

But now I'm on Sports, they are a bit too stiff for me but not enough to change them again.

I also had Koni yellows on the car. I will never do that again because they are way too soft in compression and you can only adjust the rebound side. If soft and less than precise is what you like then go with them.

To me the Konis are working only half of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts