BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an E66 2002 745Li, last December at just under 50K miles. The car currently has 58K miles. I always felt that the car did not absorb road abnormalities they way it should and the suspension did not feel right. My feeling was confirmed after I swapped my Z4 with my E60 525 this May.

My SA asked a shop foreman to drive the car with me. The foreman did throw it around but did not find anything wrong which could justify an in-warranty suspension job.

Last week, when bringing the car in for a recall (a quick 45 minute job), I told me SA that the car needs to be looked at. I asked him to let me know when the local regional rep who can authorize a repair outside the normal specifications was in. He asked the technician working on the car to give it a look.

They found 6 transportation spacers, which are plastic pieces, inserted to limit the movement of the struts during transport still in place; 3 each on the both front wheels! This is a car with service for more than 50 months, and 58K miles, which had been in the shop numerous times (it is a 2002) and also had the tranny replaced (twice)! I am sure it went through a few inspections too!

Clearly the selling dealer screwed up during the PDI.

I am not sure how it affected the suspension during the past 4 years. But we have been forced to deal with skull jarring shocks whenever we went over a bump for the past 8 months. I am going to be driving the car around to see if the problem is fixed.

Just wanted to share it with you. So if you have a car which rides rough over bumps do get the suspension examined!

I am not sure whether I should do something more. My SA has been very responsive (arranging for a test drive with the foreman, getting the tech to do an inspection) so I give him a big :thumbup: .

·
swinging a big stick
3,940 Posts
Unfugginbelievable.

When you complained, did you get a "could not duplicate customer's complaint" on your service writeup? :mad:

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LA525iT said:
Unfugginbelievable.

When you complained, did you get a "could not duplicate customer's complaint" on your service writeup? :mad:
:)

That happened on my Z4 SMG after I took it in to complain about the buckling bronco behavior.

In this case, it was more a question of how to justify a claim which BMW would honor under warranty. That is why we (me and SA) were thinking of involving the regional rep.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well that's just another ringing endorsement for indy mechanics. Every time I change my oil, my mechanic and I get under the car and give it a full inspection, while the oil is draining. Tires, brakes, fuel pipes, brake pipes, transmission linkages, all suspension pieces, all rubber boots, etc.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts