BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Not a Bimmer driver anymo
1,732 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

Luckily, it isn't a problem with the Bimmer, but my wife's Honda has over a dozen sap stains from the past fall in PA.

I used some Bug/Sap remover on it, and got the chunks off. But I couldn't get the rest of the spots where it's flat. I even tried Clay Magic (admittedly, a fine clay) and it didn't get any of the stubborn spots either.

Any advice? Do I move up the scale in clay to medium? Am I forced to polish? (I was afraid that would make it worse!)

Your advice is welcome!

·
Fountainhead
722 Posts
I've had luck using Meguiar's aggressive clay and a good paint cleaner. But it really depends on how bad it is. Sometimes bird droppings and sap can be the biggest pains. Good luck!

·
Detailer
243 Posts
Id try a non abrasive method to remove it first, that way you dont need to worry about polishing afterwards. I recommend 3M adhesive remover or Surf City Road Grime Remover. You should be able to find Surf City Road Grime Remover at your local Autozone. 3M products at any of your local body shop supply stores.

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
I'd go with DetailDan's ideas first, they're the least invasive.
Soak a cloth with either of those two suggestions and let the cloth sit on a blemish for a while. Let it soak in and loosen the 'spot'. If it's on the side, get creative. Prop a 2x4 against the folded cloth for a while. Tape the cloth to the car. Do all of the above.

Let us know what eventually worked.
-John C.

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
Mineral spirits is another product that will loosen up and remove what is left...soak a towel in it then let that set on the area that has the sap...then you can wash that off with soapy water and rinse...I then either clay or use a paint cleaner to finish cleaning the surface

·
Fountainhead
722 Posts
I'd go with DetailDan's ideas first, they're the least invasive.
Soak a cloth with either of those two suggestions and let the cloth sit on a blemish for a while. Let it soak in and loosen the 'spot'. If it's on the side, get creative. Prop a 2x4 against the folded cloth for a while. Tape the cloth to the car. Do all of the above.

Let us know what eventually worked.
-John C.
Getting creative is really the name of the game. One of my favorite tricks is using straws and painter's tape to create a little "dam."

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
Getting creative is really the name of the game. One of my favorite tricks is using straws and painter's tape to create a little "dam."
Good one!
When I'm drilling a tile with a diamond drillbit, I'll make a little dam out of plumbers putty. Fill it with lube and drill away. Great for horizontals, a tad messy for verticals.

I'll try the straw/tape trick. Thanks,
-John C.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I did this truck

PB bug squash + pinnacle bug sponge
PB APC + bug sponge
both numerous times (both full strength since it was baked on)
Finally polished

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
wal-mart sells denautered alchol. stuff works great. especial getting off sap. but you can only buy so much, and they might want to see your drivers licence.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Soak with one either apc or bug squash for a few min the. use this as if it were clay (sponge must be soaked in soapy water first)
http://www.autogeek.net/pinsafscrub.html

rinse sponge in soapy water

Then soak again with the other for a few min and do same with sponge.

Keep repeating till you can barely feel em. you do this NUMEROUS times

Then clay with a solution of pb apc and water.

Then polish & seal or wax.

·
Detailer
243 Posts
I would wash the car, then pull it into the garage if you can and remove the sap. Then wash those areas again to remove any residue, and rewax.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts