BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got a,car for my daughter for graduation, 2009 328 ix 54,000 miles. We all know the check brake lights is coming on, it showed 70 MI on the settings. They have to warrant the car for 60 days and passing inspection. They put new back brakes, no sensors or rotors, brake lights came on leaving dealer. **Gave us a loaner car, change front brakes just pads and sensors and put new sensors on the back. 10 days later brake light is back on. I have to check and see if they reset the milage until next brake change. I have to call the dealer on monday, it's an Audi dealer, they are trying to be cheap and bypass the rotors. The car is mint, just a pia going to the dealer. Can anything else be causing this

·
Registered
960 Posts
Should only be two things that cause that light to come on.

1) Sensor is just a wire that gets cut once the pad is worn to a certain point. So, either the sensor isn't seated properly, or they never changed the sensor wire.

2) they never reset the mileage indicator, however that should show the moment you turn on the car.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
I got a,car for my daughter for graduation, 2009 328 ix 54,000 miles. We all know the check brake lights is coming on, it showed 70 MI on the settings. They have to warrant the car for 60 days and passing inspection. They put new back brakes, no sensors or rotors, brake lights came on leaving dealer. ***290;ave us a loaner car, change front brakes just pads and sensors. 10 days later brake light is back on. I have to check and see if they reset the milage until next brake change. I have to call the dealer on monday, it's an Audi dealer, they are trying to be cheap and bypass the rotors. The car is mint, just a pia going to the dealer. Can anything else be causing this
Good Lord! Audi dealer....like visiting Bejing to purchase a Harley.

One always uses new brake pad sensors when installing new pads. Always. Failure to do so, or to properly install, most often results in an instrument cluster error notification.

And those rotors -- did they say why they weren't changed or at least milled? [here] are minimum thickness figures and [there] is how to tell if rotors are true.

Dude Dances.jpg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They actually put new sensors front and back, 2nd time back. They are being cheep not changing rotors. So new pads and sensors front and back......rotors not even turned. I have to call them tomorrow. I am pushing for new rotors. Car runs perfect. Could it be a bad sensor or rotors messing it up

·
Registered
249 Posts
What? Audi mechanics are cheaper than BMW mechanics? I would think they Audi folks would have gone on strike years ago. Yes, you must replace the sensor or the brake light will come back. I don't know how not changing the rotors could impact this. I did not change my rotors on my last brake job and everything reset perfectly.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
They actually put new sensors front and back, 2nd time back. They are being cheep not changing rotors. So new pads and sensors front and back......rotors not even turned. I have to call them tomorrow. I am pushing for new rotors. Car runs perfect. Could it be a bad sensor or rotors messing it up
May not need new rotors - better measure before insisting. While you're there feel the swept surface. Flat? If not you know what to do.

[click here] for good pics of rear brake pad sensor. You might want to have a look to see if everything's as it should be......

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't believe brakes are so finicky. Dealer is 45 minutes away. I work almost 2 hours opposite direction. Feel bad sending my daughter to the sharks. Called me bawling her eyes out last time, brake light came on on the way home. Stays she was getting stranded in the next State. I hope the hell they get it write this time

·
Aleks
1,270 Posts
I can't believe brakes are so finicky. Dealer is 45 minutes away. I work almost 2 hours opposite direction. Feel bad sending my daughter to the sharks. Called me bawling her eyes out last time, brake light came on on the way home. Stays she was getting stranded in the next State. I hope the hell they get it write this time
Bawling her eyes out because the brake light came on, man did you pick the wrong car for her, better get a tissue subscription there will be plenty of lights coming on in the future lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok brake light is back on red letters. My local bmw mechanic who services them said the sensors did not look new. The Audi service manager said he saw them put them in. Now the service brake light is on saying front brakes are bad. I tried resetting it with no luck shows -60 assuming that's miles past when brake light came on. Car runs great. ...thinking black electrical tape over the light at this point.

·
Car guy since 1968
1,478 Posts
The only things that can trip the alarm should be the pad wear sensor on the LF corner and the ABS sensors. I suspect the former, and it's really easy to replace.

I'm sure the dealer wants it to go away at this point. I'd ask them to pull the front wheels, check the rotor thickness, change the wear sensor on the LF corner and put things back together. Pads are new, correct? They won't trip the alarm, but the wear sensor will if it's touching the rotor or has a short.

I'm not clear on whether they replaced the front rotors at the start. BMW spec is to replace the rotor with the pads. If you check the rotors and they're within the wear spec it's not required, but it's not that hard to do aftermarket rotors. BMW rotors are costy.

If you get into an argument with the dealer and you're really anal about the rotors, offer to provide new rotors and buy the Miele rotors from Pelican Parts or Bavarian Autosport. SOme here don't like the Chinese-made rotors but they work great for me, cost under $200 and your daughter hopefully doesn't drive like she's in NASCAR.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They did not change the rotors were looking for the cheap way or. My mechanic claims sensors looked old. I have to call tomorrow again. She love the car just not the brake light. She starts college end of July they better have it fixed by then

·
Registered
960 Posts
If they didn't change the sensor, seriously, it's ridiculous. Even coming from my dealer, the sensors are like $20 a piece. $15 maybe if you order them online. Sounds like they just don't want to do the work.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It goes back to Audi on Thursday. They told me they used an after market sensor. BMW is right across the street from Audi. They told me they tried to save money. 3rd time is hopefully a chain. Still under their warranty. Also had a sensor light covered by recall I saw a lot of people saying they paid to fix it.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Well the cord to the sensor was cut in half. They threw in a free oil change for inconvenience
Aha! Told ya t'have a look....but not everyone can do that; most folks don't DIY at all.

BUT....being a competent pre-owned BMW pilot means never having to see a dealer....tools and at least jack stands.

[click me] for a primer on the manly art of BMW maintenance....sleep will be deeper, women sexier; food will taste great! Highly recommended.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts