Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I would like to say that the hood opening "system" is a prime example of German over-engineering a non-existing problem.

I have a 2012 3351 Sport model, I like the car but it's the little things that ruin your day.

I've been having a problem with the passenger side hood latch not unlatching on the 2nd pull and you need someone help you. I only have < 50K on it I started seeing a few oil drops on the driveway, so took it in.

I'm told that the oil cap was bad and the oil pan gasket. $1200. Anyway, I decided that I'd verify that first. I also had them "adjust" the latch to correct that PITB. When I pick it up, "The latch cables are stretched". These cables are what appear to be high quality and I find them stretching doubtful.

I decided that I would mess with them and ended up with the driver's side 1/2 stuck and the passenger's side totally "locked". I went thru all of the forum suggestions and nothing worked. Someplace it said to cut off the catch and replace, I thought about that and looked up the cost of 2 new. With shipping less than $40. But another guy mentioned removing the tires and fender well and using a hook to unlatch. So I thought that I would give that a shot before cutting the catches. I had looked at how the latch worked, so I had an idea what you needed to PULL. On this model there is nothing that you can push that will open it. From the driver's wheel well you are really working in the dark. After awhile I moved to the other wheel and you can get your hand in and feel for the little plastic thing that the cable is pulling when it works. In my case the cable had popped out of the little plastic thing. FINALLY I got the hook just right and got it to the first "unlock" and finally unlocked and then like magic pulling on the latch in the car, I got the driver's side open.

In a perfect world, the design works, but with dirt, wear & rust, not so much. Since this is going to happen to everyone, I'd suggest that you get to understand how the latch works and where that plastic thing is so "in the dark" you can find it.

I took a 12gage wire and attached it to the side of the plastic thing with a solderless terminal and used a small screw to hold it. The placement of the screw traps the cable, so it can't pop out.and ran the wire into the wheel well. It worked pretty good but haven't tried it with the wheel back on, etc. I also silicon sprayed the cables and drowned the latches. It works now, tomorrow, I hope so. The bottom line is when you pull the cable the first time, it pulls that plastic part and it "releases" the latch one "latch". The problem occurs when you release the cable pull, the plastic part needs to "reset" and that unlatches another piece of the latch. That is where the problem lies, The cable needs to go back a certain distant for that allows those parts to move to the right position. If anything keeps that part from "resetting", you are going to fight it with 2 people.

Well, I hope this helps someone.

·
Lost but making good time
'11 335xi; '03 330Ci
5,566 Posts
Wrong forum. Your car is an F30.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts