BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
The Anti-Rice
Joined
·
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekend after I get a new differential I am stuck in canada working. Be here till saturday or sunday. Bummer..

Its called whistler, apparently they are all buzzing about the 2010 olympics that are supposed to be here. I just think its cold. Here is a pic from my window. Anyone been here before?
 

Attachments

·
Need a tow?
Joined
·
245 Posts
Whistler ROCKS! One of the best ski areas in the Pacific Northwest. It is one of the destinations that I want to go in my Roadster, just beacuse the drive is so cool!

If you can get away, Vancouver is an excellent city to visit, as well.
 

·
The Anti-Rice
Joined
·
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I fly out of vancouver on saturday. I might look around the city a bit before I leave.
 

·
King of Rear Clunks
Joined
·
12,903 Posts
I got stuck in Canada (Vancouver) for a week the last time I was there. I was originally supposed ot leave on 9/11/01.
 

·
Crazy Canadian
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
If you're going to be stuck here you've been stuck in a nice place. Whistler is a beautiful area. If you spend some time in Vancouver there are some great spots to check out. I always tell people to have breakfast at the Crepe Bretonne at least once(it's just off Robson on 795 Jervis.) Most people know what it is and there are lots of 'knock off' places scattered around Robson. The science center is nice as is stanley park.

Sure beats getting stuck in some hick town in Northern/Central Alberta.
 

·
Crazy Canadian
Joined
·
1,095 Posts
Ed328Ci said:
Just don't get propositioned by the pan handlers or drug dealers. :)

Ed
I don't know if I've been lucky with that or that people exagerate. I walked the entire length of east hastings at 2AM with my cousin one night without even a single person saying anything to us.

I get propositioned more in Calgary.
 

·
C code: 405/3
Joined
·
876 Posts
Ah Whistler, a wonderfully upscale and very expensive ski town. The road is being upgraded to account for the olympics for sure. It'll take until 2010 to do it though. The road from Vancouver to Whistler is called the Sea to Sky Highway and I've driven it a million times in a 45 ft. MCI, wind and snow howling and my inside tires 4 inches from an 18 inch drop down from the asphalt. On a couple of turns, I swear I can see the back of my bus out my side window, the turns are that tight in a few places. Geez I hate that road in a bus.
In the coupe, a different story. Twisty turns, narrow lanes along the ocean, then a couple of long straight stretches through Squamish then more winding turns heading into Whistler, going through the gears, hearing the roar of the pipes echoing off the rock faces and hearing the coupe howl, geez it's just marvelous.

A true love / hate relationship I guess.
-John C.
 

·
The Anti-Rice
Joined
·
5,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, i will admit htat the hotel is nice. Its the fairmont. Room service has this great salmon sandwich that is so good I have ordered two already. THe pool leaves something to be desired, and it hasnt stopped raining since I got here. But I am going up the mountain this afternoon to see what cold is really like.

I wish I had my car to tear up the roads here...

If you get a ticket in canada, do you have to pay it? Can you just ditch it and flee back to the US? Does it get reported to your US insurance agency? Just curious....
 

·
Grumpy and Cynical
Joined
·
7,639 Posts
bol said:
I don't know if I've been lucky with that or that people exagerate. I walked the entire length of east hastings at 2AM with my cousin one night without even a single person saying anything to us...
You are lucky. My office is on West Hastings. I get bothered almost EVERY DAY.

Ed
 

·
Grumpy and Cynical
Joined
·
7,639 Posts
Johnz3mc said:
...On a couple of turns, I swear I can see the back of my bus out my side window, the turns are that tight in a few places. Geez I hate that road in a bus.
In the coupe, a different story. Twisty turns, narrow lanes along the ocean, then a couple of long straight stretches through Squamish then more winding turns heading into Whistler, going through the gears, hearing the roar of the pipes echoing off the rock faces and hearing the coupe howl, geez it's just marvelous...
The original Need For Speed game was modeled on that highway. :)

Ed
 

·
C code: 405/3
Joined
·
876 Posts
Ed328Ci said:
The original Need For Speed game was modeled on that highway. :)

Ed
Ed,
That's an amazing bit of information. Thanks for the update, and I'll remember that when I'm doing the runs next winter in the highway battle cruiser.
-John C.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top