BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· I gotta have more cowbell
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. once in awhile (I think usually when engine cold) the car would start and be missing at least one cylinder. In at least one case I shut off and restarted fine.

..separate but probably related symptom was only at like 3K rev under load (like going up a steep hill), engine would stumble/misfire. At first would stop if I backed off the pedal and no codes thrown, but 5-10K miles later would consistently light CEL but code reader would still show "pass".

Problem went away when I put in a new CPS and a swapped in a vanos solenoid. Don't know which solved it since I did them together, but I think it was the CPS. My guess is when the CPS gets old the pulse signal is weak and at higher rev (ie pulse frequency) it's harder for the ECU to count the pulses.

Car now has lots more power. I had issues with CPS before on another BMW. I recommend it be replaced every 100K miles even if no cel.

· Seek to understand,^Value
25,378 Posts
Whats a CPS again?
- BMW E39 technoterms, acronyms, glossary, definitions slang, technical terms, abbreviations (1)

I put EVERY single word that I found in this forum over a period of years which I personally didn't understand into that thread ... and it certainly has CPS (and CKP and CMP) described.

· Registered
19 Posts
- BMW E39 technoterms, acronyms, glossary, definitions slang, technical terms, abbreviations (1)

I put EVERY single word that I found in this forum over a period of years which I personally didn't understand into that thread ... and it certainly has CPS (and CKP and CMP) described.
Thanks bluebee! Really helpful :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.