BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the short time that I've owned this lovely 535ix, I've been mostly on the inside and not able to observe the headlights. Then today, I was showing an admirer around the car and we started looking at all the lights. I tried, but was unable to get the inner set of headlights to come on. The outer lights worked for low and high beam, the fogs worked... but what am I missing? When do the inner set of headlights come on?

Thanks (embarrassed to be asking),
Q

·
Registered
193 Posts
Not a dumb question I thought they were low beam headlights***8230; ouch. They are turn lights and I know they work on the auto headlight mode. When you turn left or right the appropriate light comes on and you do not have to have the turn signals on. At least that is my understanding.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!

I'll test that theory and see for myself. It does make sense because they are halogen, not HID's. If they were HID's they would quickly degrade due to cold starting on every turn:eeps:

Regards,
Q

·
Registered
12 Posts
I assume you are referring to the lights directly inboard from the HID's, if so then it possible that these are used for passing and are only activated when pulling the turn signal stalk towards you. That was the case in my 2004 VW Touareg. Apparently it's an Autobahn thing.:dunno:

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
I assume you are referring to the lights directly inboard from the HID's, if so then it possible that these are used for passing and are only activated when pulling the turn signal stalk towards you. That was the case in my 2004 VW Touareg. Apparently it's an Autobahn thing.:dunno:
Not anymore on the F10. On the F10, the flash-to-pass uses the regular high beams. These worked as you described on my '08 335i. The inner lights, as noted above, are cornering lights. They come on during low speed turns, in addition to the adaptive swiveling of the main lights, to light your way around the corner. You may notice that they both come on when shifting to reverse. I've also noticed that turning on the turn signal will cause the associated left or right cornering light to come on at least briefly, but goes out if you haven't yet turned. I noticed this while waiting behind a pickup truck with a shiny black tailgate :).

·
Everything's Bigger in TX
7,121 Posts

·
7,121 Posts
Thanks!

I'll test that theory and see for myself. It does make sense because they are halogen, not HID's. If they were HID's they would quickly degrade due to cold starting on every turn:eeps:

Regards,
Q
Not a theory, fact, as Markl outlined.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
7,121 Posts
Say - you do need decaf! It's only an expression.:p
LOL. :thumbup:

I say that because on forums, there are often "theories" floated by those who do not know what they're talking about. Or people making "guesses". I like to make sure that when someone presents a fact, that it is identified as such.

Just didn't want you to think he was making a guess...he speaks the truth. ;)

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOL. :thumbup:

I say that because on forums, there are often "theories" floated by those who do not know what they're talking about. Or people making "guesses". I like to make sure that when someone presents a fact, that it is identified as such.

Just didn't want you to think he was making a guess...he speaks the truth. ;)
No worries. I'm really enjoying learning and participating in this community. My one regret is that I did not connect here BEFORE I purchased. I might have made different option choices if I had. - but still, no buyer's remorse.

Q

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
8,845 Posts
My one regret is that I did not connect here BEFORE I purchased. I might have made different option choices if I had. - but still, no buyer's remorse.
Sometimes I find it's almost better not to read forums when deciding on a car. The boards tend to be "fanatical" owners (including myself) who may amplify the negatives about their cars. My first German car was a '99 VW Passat and I almost didn't buy one based on the forums I was reading. Good luck with your F10, you made a good choice!

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sometimes I find it's almost better not to read forums when deciding on a car. The boards tend to be "fanatical" owners (including myself) who may amplify the negatives about their cars. My first German car was a '99 VW Passat and I almost didn't buy one based on the forums I was reading. Good luck with your F10, you made a good choice!
yeah, it's a double edged sword. Fanatics are always going to be very vocal about things they don't like in addition to the people who are having some issue with the car and trying to find solutions. Which amplifies every issue, real or perceived. The fact is that the majority of owners don't post on internet forums. Like the old saying goes, the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Regulars on Bimmerfest are the exception not the rule.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts