BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope nobody minds too much, but I have a couple of questions to ask regarding my M-coupe. Yes, I have searched for them, but failed to find anything.

1. Is it normal for the key to rotate more than 360 degrees in the door lock?

2. Is there a BMW remote keyless entry add-on that I can get for this car? Is it compatible with other add-ons like LeatherZ's "convenience package" (I think that's what they call it) and John Firestone's Sport mode controller? Thinking here that they all might use the same connector, and that could prevent more than one of them being used at any one time.

3. When I hit the throttle moderately hard for the first time or two I heard a rattling sound at about 4000 rpm, it doesn't do this now. Any ideas on what's happening (or NOT happening)?

4. My battery seems to be weakening. When starting there is a definite "groan" as it cranks. That is, the starter starts out quite slowly and then speeds up and the car starts. Is the battery covered by the warrantee? Any reason to get the BMW battery as opposed to others?

5. That rectangular cover to the starboard of the H-K woofer in the rear of the coupe -- is that where a CD changer mounts? How do you remove that cover?

Thanks for letting me display my ignorance here. I hope to cure it.

·
19,585 Miles
11,141 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:
I hope nobody minds too much, but I have a couple of questions to ask regarding my M-coupe. Yes, I have searched for them, but failed to find anything.

>>>No.

2. Is there a BMW remote keyless entry add-on that I can get for this car? Is it compatible with other add-ons like LeatherZ's "convenience package" (I think that's what they call it) and John Firestone's Sport mode controller? Thinking here that they all might use the same connector, and that could prevent more than one of them being used at any one time.
>>>Yes. All of the above will work. Will be checking the BMW alarm soon to see if it is compatible with some of John's other mods.

4. My battery seems to be weakening. When starting there is a definite "groan" as it cranks. That is, the starter starts out quite slowly and then speeds up and the car starts. Is the battery covered by the warrantee? Any reason to get the BMW battery as opposed to others?
>>>BMW battery is not the way to go. Do a search here.

5. That rectangular cover to the starboard of the H-K woofer in the rear of the coupe -- is that where a CD changer mounts? How do you remove that cover?
>>>Yes. It snaps off with some effort. I added a knob to mine and filed down the grip tabs so it is easily removed.

·
Registered
55 Posts
3. When I hit the throttle moderately hard for the first time or two I heard a rattling sound at about 4000 rpm, it doesn't do this now. Any ideas on what's happening (or NOT happening)?

I would make sure that, you werent hearing a rod knocking. What year is your M Coupe?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Bob Clevenger said:

Thanks for letting me display my ignorance here. I hope to cure it.
Hey Bob...the battery is covered under warranty so long as the car was driven 500 miles/month. If you are denied coverage (as I was), I recommend the Interstate as detailed so kindly by Ron.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kodiak said:

I would make sure that, you werent hearing a rod knocking. What year is your M Coupe?
My coupe is an '02. I'm quite sure that it wasn't a rod bearing or wrist pin making that noise. It sounded a lot "tinnier" for want of the proper word.

I've heard the death rattle of a rod bearing far too often back in the day.

·
Registered
47 Posts
MDork said:
Hey Bob...the battery is covered under warranty so long as the car was driven 500 miles/month. If you are denied coverage (as I was), I recommend the Interstate as detailed so kindly by Ron.
Today my battery took a dump and I took it to a local dealer to get a new one under warranty. My car is 3 years and 2 months old and has 25k on the clock.

The dealer refused to cover it under warranty, saying that 8k miles a year was not enough to keep the battery in top shape. Nice, eh?

I have heard of quite a few people being denied warranties on their batteries. So, I wouldn't expect much from your dealer.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alex.M said:
Today my battery took a dump and I took it to a local dealer to get a new one under warranty. My car is 3 years and 2 months old and has 25k on the clock.

The dealer refused to cover it under warranty, saying that 8k miles a year was not enough to keep the battery in top shape. Nice, eh?

I have heard of quite a few people being denied warranties on their batteries. So, I wouldn't expect much from your dealer.
I don't expect much, but I can ask. Maybe 12k per year is good enough. Who knows? I need to have the door lock problem I described looked at anyway. They'll probably tell me "That's normal." :dunno:

·
Investigative Tinkerer
5,011 Posts
Dealer replaced my battery last June (under warranty). I had about 28k on the car (approx 9k yr?)

Depends on the dealer; I've got one of the good ones.

·
Old Timer
751 Posts
I have a BMW OEM changer off of my 98 M3. PM me if interested Bob. I can bring it this sat if you like.

JT

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ron Stygar said:
>>>Yes. It snaps off with some effort. I added a knob to mine and filed down the grip tabs so it is easily removed.

Great idea Ron! I just added a drawer-pull to mine, and after a little filing on the attachment "hooks" on three sides (I left the top ones alone) it works like a charm.
Thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts