BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If there is brake fluid around the brake bleeder valve 1 day after that particular wheel has been bled, does it mean that the valve is bad? They are tight. That brings up another question. The valves seem to have a thread or two exposed, but trust me..they are tight. I am having a real tough time bleeding my brakes. I got all wheels except the driver's rear to bleed fantastic, but when I got to driver's rear I could not get any fluid with either a manual method or a MityVac. I took it for a test drive and it would go to the floor. It can be pumped up, and the car will stop, but I am planning a 1500 mile trip and I do not want to be driving like "The Little Rascals" all the way to Louisiana. Why isn't this one wheel bleeding? I am replacing the valve on the side that would not bleed as soon as Bav gets it to me. Would a bad valve stop it from bleeding? The fluid comes to the vavle and then leaks out around it. I pulled the valve, cleaned it, and reinstalled it. No luck.:dunno:

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you dry the area around the bleeder valve and its wet 1 hour later, then you have a leak. You can have a clogged valve or your caliper is filled with gunk, which happens overtime and if the fluid has not been changed out over time. The threads exposed is fine as long as it is sealed. Mine shows and also there are different lengths in valves.

Take the whole valve out to see if you get fluid out of the caliper.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info on threads and caliper size. When you say I have a leak, do you mean in the valve, and if so, I can just replace it and the leak should stop, right? How do I clean out the caliper if it is full of "gunk?" For sure, I am getting fluid into and out of the caliper. The problem is, that is as far as it goes. It will not bleed through the valve and into the hose I have attached at the end of the valve. Does that indicate a bad valve, or something more serious?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts