BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You should check out this thread before you read this to get you some background on the situation: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155922

I got a bottle jack per the recommendation of one of the MotorsportRecycling guys (A BMW-only shop I found on bimmerforums). I got the one rated for 2 tons.

Well, the fate-tempter I am, I decided to hop back on the horse and I jacked up the rear passenger side wheel and took it off. I popped the wheel off easy this time, and happened to take a glance over at the jack. "Hmm," I thought, "was that always a little slanted?"

I got my wits about me, and tried to get the wheel back on. The axle was an inch too low! Next thing I knew, the car's weight began to move a little bit. I (fruitlessly) pushed against the rear of the car in a last-ditched attempt to pick it back up, but it fell. Luckily, whatever force I was applying on the car slowed the fall somewhat, and it came down relatively softly onto the wheel.

There was only one word going through my head at that point. You all know it. It has four letters, starts with a 'Sh' and ends with a 't'. So I cried. Well, I cried OUT--profanities actually. I didn't want to be the guy who, 2 days in a row, called AAA to get them to come to my house to lift my car for the SAME REASON.

So I tried to squeeze the jack back under. No luck-- it's too tall by an inch. So I looked around for something to lift it with. Aha! The broken BMW jack! I debated my options. I know I chose the worse of the two, but humility is not all it's cracked up to be.

I put the bmw jack under the rubber piece and the other jack right next to it. I jacked them up together, slipped the tire on as soon as possible, screwed in the lug nuts, and fixed the brake shield (again).

Then, I held my breath and took a drive.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and if you're saying I'm an idiot for not putting on wheel chocks.. well you're perfectly and 100% absolutely correct! Let this be a lesson to those who are lazy. If I had been working under the car instead of next to it.. well I may not have been able to type this post today, let alone 6 months from now.

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
next time, take a drive up to your relative's shop with the garage up in north jersey. too bad you don't live closer, i have a 3.5 ton jack.

BTW: when were you at MSR??? i'm going to be there this friday. i actually help start the shop a long long long... long long time ago.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was there yesterday (friday) around 2:30 I think. It's like 15-20 mins away from me. He fixed the brake dust shield for free and showed me how to do it. He also answered a couple of questions for me about the car. I felt bad leaving without paying them for anything lol. You can bet your ass MSR'll be the first place I go to for any of my service needs though :)

·
You Lick It, You Own It
14,417 Posts
lex89 said:
I was there yesterday (friday) around 2:30 I think. It's like 15-20 mins away from me. He fixed the brake dust shield for free and showed me how to do it. He also answered a couple of questions for me about the car. I felt bad leaving without paying them for anything lol. You can bet your ass MSR'll be the first place I go to for any of my service needs though :)
swing by this coming friday. i'll be done with my finals and will be changing out the headlights and hopefully doing my M5 diff and bushings... though i think the diff and bushings will be more of weekend thing. but i'm going to rip up my carpet and do my seats. that's a must.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts