BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
bmw330pp
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can't remeber who mentioned using a painters foam brush to get into the thin slots on the 135's, but thanks. I tried one this weekend while detailing my car, and it saved me tons of time, not to mention it worked as if it was specially designed to clean the rims. :thumbup: I used that new Turtle wax platinum wheel cleaner and it seems to work very well (More soapy and less harsh as opposed to Eagle one).

·
Super Moderator
14,970 Posts
bmw330pp said:
Can't remeber who mentioned using a painters foam brush to get into the thin slots on the 135's, but thanks. I tried one this weekend while detailing my car, and it saved me tons of time, not to mention it worked as if it was specially designed to clean the rims. :thumbup: I used that new Turtle wax platinum wheel cleaner and it seems to work very well (More soapy and less harsh as opposed to Eagle one).
Dunno, but its what I use and it works great!!

·
Grinning from ear to ear
2,029 Posts
So I've been wondering lately: I love the foam brushes. But I'm always worried that the inner plastic that holds the foam to the brush could eventually scratch the wheels. Has anyone ever tried a simple kitchen sponge? You know - the thing rectangles that comes in all kinds of pastel colors? It seems that this would be an even better solution and it would hold up longer than the foam brushes.

·
24/7 Bimmer Addict
514 Posts
icemanjs4 said:
So I've been wondering lately: I love the foam brushes. But I'm always worried that the inner plastic that holds the foam to the brush could eventually scratch the wheels. Has anyone ever tried a simple kitchen sponge? You know - the thing rectangles that comes in all kinds of pastel colors? It seems that this would be an even better solution and it would hold up longer than the foam brushes.
I tried the kitchen sponge. I made a slit in it and stuck a wooden spatula in one end. It looked like a wooden rod with a sponge on one end. It worked pretty good but for the fact that the sponge kept coming off from the spatula. I could not figure out how to keep the two together. (This idea was actually suggested by someone in the forum)

·
bmw330pp
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
icemanjs4 said:
Those sponges culture bacteria unlike the the foam ones. :confused:

·
C code: 405/3
876 Posts
another foam sponge use

All this talk about foam and sponges reminds me of my favourite use of a thick foam sponge for applying dressing to tires.
I went to a local foam shop and bought a scrap of 2 - 3 inch thick foam. I cut it into a rectangle 4 inches long and the width of my tire.
The thickness is perfect for holding with the hand and I spray my tire dressing liberally onto the foam. A few quick swipes applies a perfect coat of dressing to the tires and you can do all four very quickly.
Afterwards I usually spray the foam with a hose then wring the h2o out of it and keep it with the dressing for next time. This use of foam (thick stuff only) is a real time saver.
-John C.

·
3 pedals only!
2,713 Posts
Well, whomever came up with the idea, many thanks.

I just tried the technique this morning and found that I no longer wish that great harm upon the designer of the Type 135.

·
bmw330pp
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
For you anal rim cleaners such as myself........

There might just be one more tool to add to our rim cleaning arsenal. This week I went with my brother to the pet shop to get some fishes. As I'm walking down the isle, I see a long glowing handle saying "pick me up". So I did and read the instructions on it's use, and it seems very practical for getting to the inner back park of the rims and cleaning them. It's original use is to scrub fish tanks, but the scrubber it has is non-sratch, and thin enough to get all the way to the inner back part of the rim. The actual handle is somewhat flexible, being that its plastic, but sturdy enough to apply the right amount of pressure to clean the caked on sludge (Just an expression....no I don't have sludge on my rims :thumbup: ). To clarify the part of the rim I'm talking about, it's the inner half of the rim that is past the rotors. Try and fit a normal wheel cleaning brush in there, and its too big to get past the rotors. Try and slide your hand past that part, and any side to side scrubing action will certainly end up in your hand or arm getting sliced by either the rotor or rotor shield :eek:uch: (Not to mention the sweet burning pain of any chemicals you have sprayed on to the rims). Any other tool I've tried is too flimzy to apply the amount of pressure required to be effective in taking off caked on brake dust.

I will purshase this tool this weekend, put it to use, take pics, and let you guys see the results.

·
24/7 Bimmer Addict
514 Posts
bmw330pp said:
There might just be one more tool to add to our rim cleaning arsenal. This week I went with my brother to the pet shop to get some fishes. As I'm walking down the isle, I see a long glowing handle saying "pick me up". So I did and read the instructions on it's use, and it seems very practical for getting to the inner back park of the rims and cleaning them. It's original use is to scrub fish tanks, but the scrubber it has is non-sratch, and thin enough to get all the way to the inner back part of the rim. The actual handle is somewhat flexible, being that its plastic, but sturdy enough to apply the right amount of pressure to clean the caked on sludge (Just an expression....no I don't have sludge on my rims :thumbup: ). To clarify the part of the rim I'm talking about, it's the inner half of the rim that is past the rotors. Try and fit a normal wheel cleaning brush in there, and its too big to get past the rotors. Try and slide your hand past that part, and any side to side scrubing action will certainly end up in your hand or arm getting sliced by either the rotor or rotor shield :eek:uch: (Not to mention the sweet burning pain of any chemicals you have sprayed on to the rims). Any other tool I've tried is too flimzy to apply the amount of pressure required to be effective in taking off caked on brake dust.

I will purshase this tool this weekend, put it to use, take pics, and let you guys see the results.
I gave up on that part of the rim. Plan on doing that once a year when I take the wheels off for winter. If this works it will be great. :thumbup:

Yeah post pics.

·
bmw330pp
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are the pictures as promised. As you can see, the brush went all the way to the back, and did a very good job at removing the caked on brake dust (With the help of Turtle Wax Platinum Series wheel cleaner.........you can use what ever cleaner you like). The only flaw is that the sponge is a little too thick and stiff for some slots, as the rotor shield goes down more in some places than others. You can either shave the sponge down some, or rotate the tires to accomidate the sponge fitting past the shield without a problem. As the sponge wears it will most likely loose thickness and stiffness, and fit past the shield easier. Either way you will have to rotate the tire once you get to the caliper, so its better to just let the sponge wear than shaving it down.

Hope this is helpfull.

Attachments

·
Ich bin ein Bimmerer
1,241 Posts
bmw330pp, how long did it take per wheel for you to clean them? I'm itching to clean mine an apply a generous coating of Klasse SG, but I want them to be CLEAN and I can't dedicate too much time to the project in one go.

·
Registered
853 Posts
bmw330pp said:
Here are the pictures as promised. As you can see, the brush went all the way to the back, and did a very good job at removing the caked on brake dust (With the help of Turtle Wax Platinum Series wheel cleaner.........you can use what ever cleaner you like). The only flaw is that the sponge is a little too thick and stiff for some slots, as the rotor shield goes down more in some places than others. You can either shave the sponge down some, or rotate the tires to accomidate the sponge fitting past the shield without a problem. As the sponge wears it will most likely loose thickness and stiffness, and fit past the shield easier. Either way you will have to rotate the tire once you get to the caliper, so its better to just let the sponge wear than shaving it down.

Hope this is helpfull.
That is WAY too OCD for me! Besides, my 40 year old back won't let me! I'm happy that I finally made my way to the paint section of Home Depot and bought me one of them foam brush thingies. It only took me a whole year to get around to doing that.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.