BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried to fit style 137 wheels to an e90 330? I have an opportunity to buy some of these for winter wheels and want to make sure that they will clear the brakes. They are 17x7, but I have heard that some 17 inch wheels do not have a large enough inside diameter for brake clearance.

The offset on these is et47, so I would plan to use 12mm spacers.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
It is unlikely they will fit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey, Im in the process of getting winter wheels... what are the things i need to look for when getting winter rims for a 2006 330i with sport package? Tire size, width, RF?
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Why is it unlikely that they will fit?

These are 7 inch wide rims. The difference in offset between the stock 8" rims and these is 13mm (47-34). That gives the same distance from the suspension for these 7" rims compared to the stock 8" rims. There will be an extra inch of clearance at the fender. If I use a 12mm spacer, there will be an extra 12mm at the suspension side and 13mm at the fender. Please explain why this does not work with or without the spacer.

Or, are you addressing the brake clearance? If the brake clearance is the problem, how can I find which factory or OEM wheels will and will not work?

Thanks,
Ted

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Ted Shuck said:
Or, are you addressing the brake clearance? If the brake clearance is the problem, how can I find which factory or OEM wheels will and will not work?
Yes, they most likely will not clear the brakes. The only choice is to try them. However, of the dozens of 17" wheels Tire Rack sells, only a handful clear the brakes ... the odds are not in your favor. The barrel of the wheel relative to the hub is the key. The OEM wheels which fit have a bigger barrel and the hub is inward offset to clear the brakes. If you notice all the OEM E9x wheels have that sucked in look ... to clear the brakes. Since wheel manufacturers don't spec this kind of data ... trial and error is the only choice.

You can look at the OEM wheels @ www.realoem.com

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really appreciate the explanation of why they probably will not fit. This makes a lot more sense to me now.:thumbup:

Thanks,
Ted

1 - 6 of 6 Posts