BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this pic online, no info. Any ideas what size spacers this guy might be running? Trying to debate what to get for my car.

Wheel Car Land vehicle Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
That guy couldn't even get the steering wheel on the correct side! ;-)

You will need to adjust the spacing unless you're planning to run stretched tires (like in the photo). Mounting "as-designed" tires on those rims would require a considerably different spacer / offest solution.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Remember getting your wheels further out will result in more stone chipping. Now most of us have aluminum front wheel arches but the rear can and will rust - mighty fast if I may add.
So consider it carefully before doing it. In regards to the actual rims on the photo they look like something from an E65 7 series. Not sure if these are original BMW rims but you can get the original ones to fit on a E60 provided you have a “larger’ model that were born with 18’s or bigger rims. They don’t extend that far out but based on the concave design they look further out than they are based on how your eyes see it.
In any case 19”s will look a loot better no matter what just be aware of the effect that potholes can have. Last time I had my tires changed I had 3 rims that had been hit so hard that they were no longer round. Still need to fix my winter tires with rims for the same problem.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Remember getting your wheels further out will result in more stone chipping. Now most of us have aluminum front wheel arches but the rear can and will rust - mighty fast if I may add.
So consider it carefully before doing it. In regards to the actual rims on the photo they look like something from an E65 7 series. Not sure if these are original BMW rims but you can get the original ones to fit on a E60 provided you have a “larger’ model that were born with 18’s or bigger rims. They don’t extend that far out but based on the concave design they look further out than they are based on how your eyes see it.
In any case 19”s will look a loot better no matter what just be aware of the effect that potholes can have. Last time I had my tires changed I had 3 rims that had been hit so hard that they were no longer round. Still need to fix my winter tires with rims for the same problem.
Note I have these in my car now. Running 245/35 in the front and 285/30 in the rear, very very close to the tire spec for the 172M wheels (also 19s).

This is how my car sits now, just want my wheels to have a slightly lower offset to sit a bit more flush with the fender. I was thinking 12mm up front and 10mm in the rear.

Wdyt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
578 Posts
I have done my front (lowered it) but as soon as did that it was obvious that the rear so to say fell into place. So I would recommend only doing that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Have you used a plumb line to measure how much further you want to push the wheels out? On level ground, hang the plumb line from the fender and measure the horizontal gap between the line and the outside edge at the top of the wheel.

FWIW, I have read that 10mm spacers can be problematic because the lip on our hubs is 10mm.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you used a plumb line to measure how much further you want to push the wheels out? On level ground, hang the plumb line from the fender and measure the horizontal gap between the line and the outside edge at the top of the wheel.

FWIW, I have read that 10mm spacers can be problematic because the lip on our hubs is 10mm.
The 10mm spacers from Burger look like the retain the hubcentric lip so hope it works out.

Have not used a plumb line to measure, where should I hang it from exactly? I’ve never used one before.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 550i
562 Posts
Honestly, they look close enough to being flush right now that if it was me, I wouldn't bother. I think 10-12mm spacers would push them out beyond flush.....if anything, 5mm spacers might do what you want, but then you'll have issues with the lip.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The 10mm spacers from Burger look like the retain the hubcentric lip so hope it works out.

Have not used a plumb line to measure, where should I hang it from exactly? I’ve never used one before.

Hang it from the outside of the fender directly above the centre of the wheel. Use a bob that will not contact the wheel when hanging to ensure that the line hangs plumb.

·
Registered
578 Posts
With the last pictures you provided I can guarantee you that you will have issues with stones being thrown by the tires hitting the paint and creating perfect conditions for rust sneaking up on you. So I would strongly advise against doing that.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Did some rough measurements with a straight edge to the inner fender lining (not the edge of the fender outside).

From the inner finder line there's clearance of about about 10-11mm in the rear, and maybe 12-15 in the front. If/when I lower my car and I start to rub, I would consider (very mildly) rolling the fenders as needed... Although it isn't ideal because it's not reversible.

I might get a pair of 10mm and test fit them F/R on one side, and then decide if I need to order another 10mm or something bigger/smaller.

Edit: I will just wait until I lower my car and see if spacers are needed. I'm getting ahead of myself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts