BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always liked the design of the E class; I can't say I know much about them though. I looked into the CLK 320 briefly when I first started thinking about getting a 330ci, but as soon as I found out that you couldn't get one here with a third pedal I moved on. One of my clients has one and it seems to drive pretty nice.

Anyhow, I was going out to eat Wednesday night and saw a new CLK 320 in the lot. I had my camera so I thought I'd take a few comparison shots. The sun was low in the sky so the lighting conditions weren't optimal...

The dimensions appear to be pretty similar. The shape of the CLK is much softer, which really becomes obvious when they are parked next to eachother. If the 330ci was a fork, the CLK might be a spork.

The CLK seems to have a cleaner, yet less aggresive look.

I guess they get Conti's too... :eek: The silver paint is almost identical on the two cars, but the CLK seems to have a little less metallic in it.

After dinner I went on to enjoy the sunset overlooking Seal Beach, Long Beach and beyond. Being the freak that I am, I took a couple shots of my car there too.

I know Ti Silver isn't 'original', but I love how the fine metallic in the paint reflects light and color. It just seems to glow...

...and the color looks totally different in every lighting condition. This was shot about 20 minutes later.

Well that's it for my boring post on a slow Saturday. Have a good weekend everyone! :D

--SONET

·
Just passed you...
40 Posts
Personally, I like that yellow/orange truck body style in the background better then the Benz and BMW... :thumbup: Maybe I should reconsider my 325Ci order... :thumbdwn:

·
Parking Spot Maven
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks nice in pictures (except for the tail lights look a little wimpy/cheap to me), but I haven't seen one in person yet. Pictures can be so deceiving!

What are your thoughts geomax?

--SONET

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I think it looks great - better than the previous CLK which seems, hhmmmm, bland somehow. The pic I posted of the new CLK needs bigger wheels, but overall, I like the flowing lines of the car.

·
5,820 Posts
I had an E and loved it, beautiful, classy car. Always liked the CLK ragtop and was sure I'd get one as the topless E I'd love to have. Having stumbled into buying my 330CIC, I can now say the BMW is much better. Better seating, looking and driving. I think it's more youthful looking and the rear seat and rear window are much better. Styling is significantly racier to me. Also, the CLK does not offer an optional hardtop for the convertible, to my knowledge.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I really hate the design of the CLK from the front door cutline back. The rear window comes down at too soft of an angle, raising the trunklid too high, and the area above the rear wheels too thick. Also, they put such ugly, cheap-looking wheels on the 320. :thumbdwn:

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
Having owned and driven several MB's I can honestly state that I won't get another one. If you like sport in your car... take a pass on the MB.

MB's are beautifully designed luxury cars. However, there is little to no sport in their drive. BMW's on the other hand are sporty/s cars in sedate bodies. They want to be driven hard. MB's are too much work to drive aggressively.... they like to cruise.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
I never liked the current E, and the CLK even less so. The new models of both look far better, but still a little chunky. The svelteness of the new S/CL/SL shapes work for me on the C too (it doesn't for some) but somehow seems to lose it on the sizes in between.

·
Registered
57 Posts

How about my CLK430 Cab..? THe CLK320 is ugly because it lacks the AMG body kit found on the 430 and CLK55 models.. The front spoiler, sideskirts, and rear valence make a world of difference in the looks department.

·
5,820 Posts
CaliChris said:

How about my CLK430 Cab..? THe CLK320 is ugly because it lacks the AMG body kit found on the 430 and CLK55 models.. The front spoiler, sideskirts, and rear valence make a world of difference in the looks department.
QUOTE]

Nice looking car, like the wheels

1 - 19 of 19 Posts