BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just picked up a 2008 335xi.

Recently I have noticed a subtle police siren sounding wine coming from the engine which can be faintly heard between about 2000-4000rpm in first and second gear.

Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance.

·
cor door sedan
1,161 Posts
How about when the air conditioning button is on? I'd you turn air conditioning off, does the sound go away?

(My 2008 535xi does this but it is very faint)

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
Some people say turbo shaft play, but lots of people with a very loud siren sound would end up tearing into the engine bay and find no end-play.
Some people have mentioned accessory fan belt pulleys.
Some people have mentioned power steering pumps.

As far as I know, no one knows for sure...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some people say turbo shaft play, but lots of people with a very loud siren sound would end up tearing into the engine bay and find no end-play.
Some people have mentioned accessory fan belt pulleys.
Some people have mentioned power steering pumps.

As far as I know, no one knows for sure...
So would you recommend taking it in before things get worse? Or do you think its a minor issue? I think I'll have a mechanic take a look when I get my winter tires changed.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
Also, one guy mentioned alternator clutch....

Generally, the dealerships haven't been able to find anything wrong when the cars were taken in.

·
GODSPD
2,249 Posts
Personally, I think all wine should be subtle. Brazen and bold tastes should be left in the gas station flavored-vodka aisle, IMO.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
So would you recommend taking it in before things get worse? Or do you think its a minor issue? I think I'll have a mechanic take a look when I get my winter tires changed.
Honestly, I'm not sure.
If you can get a mechanic to look it over on the cheap, I guess that would be the prudent thing to do.

·
Better with Butter
2,526 Posts
Slightly more likely that it was turbo shaft end play. But even then.....
A tuned N54 is simply going to have more turbo noise than un-tuned. I still haven't seen anything out there that says that this noise is the harbinger of doom. A few people have claimed this, but haven't backed it up with anything. FUD.

·
E60 to E90 to E92
148 Posts
BMWs produce subtle wine from the engine? Merlot, Zinfandel, Riesling?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Police siren whine is deffo turbo on the way out...

·
///Multiple
4,525 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.