BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I need to get down to the bottom of this. I have an Alpine 12" Type-R that I want to install into my 2005 BMW X3. I do not have the premium sound package. I also have an Alpine amp and a Rockford cap.

First of all, how important is it for me to install an aftermarket deck? Does anyone have any experiences with subs running off the stock deck? Anyone have experiences with getting an aftermarket deck installed? I am getting mixed messages on this so I have no idea where to start. If you do suggest an aftermarket deck, does it matter which one?

The speakers are very low quality in my opinion. Is replacing any of them recommended in this upgrade or will the installation of a new deck and/or sub do the trick?

I am nervous to install the amp to the battery. Should this be done by a professional or is it something a newbie like myself can tackle?

I need some bass from my car ASAP so any help will be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thank you.

· Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,286 Posts
HAhaahahaha thanks Super course.

Not to be rude but I keep posting the same info over and over and over again.

List of things in order of importance (IMO):

• Replace 4" speakers in door --listen for change decide what next
  • Replace H/U or use additional processor that enables better acoustics, gives the ability to add amps while keeping BMW H/U
  • If you have replaced BMW H/U listen for sound improvement --add amp to 8" mid subs if necessary
  • Don't like 8" inch mid subs add amp and 10" sub in box and add amp
  • Stir gently and Jam On
  • All else fails PM me and tell me what your restrictions are --- start with budget, and I'll try to make a good, better, best suggestion/approach.

Cheers,

EE

Now playing for your listening pleasure

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

Evlengr, thank you for sharing your knowledge, it is much appreciated!

After researching, I'm still not super clear as to what kind of signal comes out of the OEM HU. According to the wiring diagram, which I pulled from BMW TIS, it appears that HU has eight signal wires coming to the amplifier in the trunk.

Now, what would happen if I disconnect OEM amplifier, and route these, presumably line outputs, to the aftermarket amplifier.. ?

Also, if I'm not mistaken, remote amp-on signal wire is on the pin 10 of the amplifier harness and is white color. Is this true?

Thanks again for all your help!

· Registered
4 Posts
changed my factory HU with an older alpine mp3 compatible HU, kept the factory amp and speakers and added a aftermarket amp and 10in in the back...with the extra power from the alpine all of my speakers sound far better...might want to start there I did have to make a harness out of 2 metra harness kits. there are 2 white wires on the factory harness one is to the factory amp, one is to the powered antenna pretty easy to tell if you have them reversed once you try out the new deck.

4,286 Posts
Has anybody installed Dynamat in the trunk of the X3?
You could, but if you are pushing that much bass you may cause damage to the interior, and its probably not tuned right.

4,286 Posts
Can you get your hands on a spectrum analyzer that will do pink noise generation?

That will help to truly tweak it.

If not make sure the boxes you have are the right cubic feet. And a closed port box will create more of a bass kick instead of the slow moving wooompf that most hear rattling out of cars.

Also, point the subs at the back of the hatch. Although bass is non-directional it will have some reflective properties and give a better sound.

4,286 Posts
Well kinda like smoking. No need to damage what is left. I can give you some guidelines to explore if you want to try to tune it a bit?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.