BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the sub box. I was disappointed to find the speaker itself is in perfect condition, cone and foam surround like new. (The car only has 34,000 miles). As it sounds like a goose farting or vibrating, I was hoping to do the silicone-fix or replace the foam surround altogether. (It sounded so bad, I assumed the speaker was toast. Boy, was I surprised! I guess that's just how it sounds.) Now that I don't need to fix the speaker, what's next? Is there a direct drop in? I'm not interested in spending huge amounts of money, just want to be able to listen to some classic rock.

Also, how do you disconnect the white plastic plug that the wires are connected to? I assume it's a male/female connection of some sort, but how does it come apart?

Thanks for your help.

· Registered
2,312 Posts
It's time to do some fault-isolation. You can drive the subwoofer speaker with a known-good signal, such as from another car sub amp, a home stereo, a bass guitar amp, anything. You can test the sub amp with a known-good speaker of just about any type. You don't have to worry much about impedance, etc., for a short test at modest level.

Often the noise you describe is from air leaking from the speaker box. Look for and seal any cracks.

The white plug is a Molex plug, and it just pulls apart.

· BMW: Freude am Fahren
147 Posts
You could also be experiencing some vibrations of the subwoofer snorkel against the front grill of the speaker box. Get some household door/window weatherstripping and put some on the snorkel in startegic places.

See the following link for more info: http://www.ackthud.net/z3/2000/Subwoofer/subwoofer.html

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.