BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I thought that I'd post a success story on my ABS fix in case it would help someone else.

My ABS light came on after just 40km from the previous owners home. And my Creator bmw code reader could not communicate with the ABS module. So all i did was to unbolt the controller from the hydraulics and take a fine grade sandpaper and carefully scuff upp the contact pins inside it (below the coils) I used 600 grit. Initially on dissasembly it looked fine, but I could feel oxidation on the contact pins when I scraped a sharp knife on them. After this the light immediatly went away :)

I still get an error in my code reader tho... But i think this is an error in my reader, and not the ABS. it says to contact customer service and prints the whole screen full of HEX(?) codes. I'll get to the bottom of it in time.

Edit: I gave the same treatement to the two to larger contact pins that sticks out from the hydraulic unit and their respecive mateing surface on the controller.

ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468221903.558718.jpg ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1468221922.968210.jpg

·
Under the lift arms
13,018 Posts
what was the error code you where getting prior to taken the module off?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi wyldcard,

Thanks for the tips, great to hear it was easily fixed for you. Any update on the hex codes?
I've been on the mend from cancer so the car have just been sitting in storage, but I have some vague memory that it might have gone away with a firmware update on the scan tool.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
what was the error code you where getting prior to taken the module off?
I'm sorry I don't remember now, I usually document all my fault codes but I can't find any reference to the abs issue I'm afraid. I know I had the "trifecta" lights on the cluster tho

Edit: ofc, the reason I didnt document any codes was because I could not scan the module. I had to re-read my post to remember :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Very very interesting. I had my ABS unit rebuilt by BBA REMAN because of the infamous tri-fecta. I also replaced all four wheel sensors but none of this corrected the issue. The steering angle sensor is working! Plugged the car into my friend's laptop and there are no codes, the computer cannot "see" the ABS control unit and BBA REMAN said I need to buy a new one and have it coded. I am not very excited about spending $450 on a new unit plus being extorted by the dealership to get it programmed!

So I will definitely give this a try tonight and let you know if it works! :thumbup:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very very interesting. I had my ABS unit rebuilt by BBA REMAN because of the infamous tri-fecta. I also replaced all four wheel sensors but none of this corrected the issue. The steering angle sensor is working! Plugged the car into my friend's laptop and there are no codes, the computer cannot "see" the ABS control unit and BBA REMAN said I need to buy a new one and have it coded. I am not very excited about spending $450 on a new unit plus being extorted by the dealership to get it programmed!

So I will definitely give this a try tonight and let you know if it works! :thumbup:
I hope this quick fix will solve your issue. But it might sadly also be the known case of failing solder on the PCB inside the unit due to heat and vibrations. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

·
Wingnut
3,892 Posts

if you look for a used module, same year and model, that works, it can be attached up no coding or anything needed. a module from another car will not set the tamper dot, and the reason for inputting the VIN it for the ABS to be able to respond correctly to the weight and other characteristics unique to that year/model, say a 540 vs a 525. otherwise the ABS module doesnt care.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I hope this quick fix will solve your issue. But it might sadly also be the known case of failing solder on the PCB inside the unit due to heat and vibrations. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Unfortunately it did not work. It was worth a shot, so thanks again for posting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
if you look for a used module, same year and model, that works, it can be attached up no coding or anything needed. a module from another car will not set the tamper dot, and the reason for inputting the VIN it for the ABS to be able to respond correctly to the weight and other characteristics unique to that year/model, say a 540 vs a 525. otherwise the ABS module doesnt care.
Yes that makes sense. Maybe I will come across one on eBay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts