BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi...
so today I drove home and decided to inspect my car after i parked with engine running....
i decided to remove the oil cap and Man there was a lot of suction as if air was looking to get it...i placed it back and removed it again and there was a lot of resistant....also my engine started to sound different once cap was removed.

what does that indicate?
does that indicate that my CCV valve is bad?
if so is there a way to change that without replacing the entire valve cover?
Long ago i remember seeing a video where some guy cuts it open and change it after gluing it together but i cannot find it.

also to mention that my car have had the "Drive Train Malfunction" for a while now but it only happens when i gas it up and try to speed up...on normal slow driving it never comes up....i have been living with it as i dont want to drain my wallet but i wonder if it has something to do with this issue?

i'll appreciate any help!

·
Registered
739 Posts
The conventional wisdom is that your CCV is failed.

I just watched a Youtube video from someone who cut apart the CCV in the valve cover and replaced just the defective part with success. It makes the operation a fraction of the cost but with some risk. I'll have to see if I can find that again.

I've seen information suggesting that the F10 is one of the only models with N55 where the CCV is not separately serviceable. Haven't researched the truth in that.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ah man you the best. This was the one!
I ordered the part from amazon for $15..will try to replace this weekend. I’ll let you know how it goes.

By the way I saw him doin some kind of test with a torch but no details on what he was doing and how.
Is there a way I can test it to Make sure mine is bad?
I rather not bring fire near an engine.

Maybe I can do a test before and after to confirm I fixed the issue.
The only reason I’m doing this is because of suction on my oil cover.

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Ok so I did a lot of research and reading on this issue and decided to do the job.
Here is a testing video.
Will post the replacement one soon after job is finished.

https://youtu.be/mdTPnWxr7K0
The engine in the video sounds like a diesel but unfortunately mine sounds about the same. What do you think is causing the noise?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The engine in the video sounds like a diesel but unfortunately mine sounds about the same. What do you think is causing the noise?

I always wondered the same if any other 535i sounds the same. It sounds like something ticking in the engine. Don’t know if this is normal in 535i.
I have an E46 but that don’t sound like this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
882 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
I always wondered the same if any other 535i sounds the same. It sounds like something ticking in the engine. Don’t know if this is normal in 535i.
I have an E46 but that don’t sound like this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's funny I have an E46 too and it doesn't sound the same either. It's far quieter.

·
Registered
50 Posts
That's funny I have an E46 too and it doesn't sound the same either. It's far quieter.
E46 had conventional port injection. you have to remember these direct injection systems operate at 3k+ psi so you get a clicking/knocking type sound when the injectors fire. All direct injection cars are the same, Lexus, Honda, etc. Only variable is how well the automaker insulates the top of the engine to mask the noise.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts