BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I'm new to the boards and would love some advice.

Picked up a 99 540it wagon and have made a few smaller purchases but would like some advice on Wheels.

I'm thinking about 18" Beyern Multi Wheels but am undecided on tires. Or maybe even the wheels...

I live in Washington State so I need a practical tire.

It also looks like I won't be purchasing a cold air intake or k&n air filter. I've read quite a few posts that recommend against either. What recommendations are their in terms of perfomance upgrades? Suspension? Sway Bar? Rocket Fuel?

Secondly, I have a cassette dsp setup. I'd like to upgrade to the Business CD and Dice MP3/HD radio setup. What exactly do I need? I'm really confused as it seems like my year needs a lot of extra in the way of 'harnesses'.

Next, what recommendations do you folks have on sub replacements for the Nokia? I've seen one listed via bsw but it's quite pricey.

Thanks for any and all advice! I've already order a clear euro tail lights, side markers, and clear front corners (wish I had purchased the Depo39 but that was when I still considering an afe intake). I've also ordered new hood emblem, led lamp replacement kit, stealth bulbs, and new fog lights (one of them is out). Plus, I'm working on attempting to contact BMW about a pretty serious pixel issue.

I've been waiting a very long time to get into this vehicle and I have my sights set on a 1970 Chevelle but plan on making the 540it special.

I already know this car is something unique. I took it to get an emissions test today and they didn't even have a listing for a 99 V8 BMW wagon. It took 6 of them just to run the test!!!

Anyone who can impart any and all knowledge links or anything would be great.

Thanks!

Warren

·
Registered
1,232 Posts

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
I have had Pirelli P Zeros and have been very happy. Great traction and most importantly, very quiet. M&S too.

For a relatively inexpensive subwoofer, consider the Blaupunkt THB 200A ($150-$200). It fits perfectly into the rear armrest (I have the sedan) and complements upgraded front component spealers nicely. An easy DIY. See my post for "armrest subwoofer"

·
Bimmerfest *******
830 Posts
to a fellow 99 540iter, WELCOME! =)

try out Generals for practicality =) as for wheels r u really decided on the mesh wheels of bayerns only?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not stuck on anything in terms of rims. Suggestions are most appreciated - plus you own a 540 wagon and probably have way more insight into what looks good and what works! I know I DON'T want chromed out wheels. I don't want blingy wheels.

Keeping in mind I will eventually upgrade at least the front bumper to an M5 style. Note: I'm not sold on M5 wheels. I like them but I see them on way too many cars.

Keep in mind. I can't throw down funds for Schnitzer, Hamann, or BBS. Also, the color is Oxford Green.

I saw these posted locally but am unsure about a 'black center':

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/663768969.html

Plus, I really don't know about going with 19". I still want to drive this car on rougher roads when needed.

These looks like good 'knock offs' but again are 19".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-H...38257023QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180238257023&

I work for myself and have a family so my total budget is maybe around 1200 - 1900 bucks.

·
Bimmerfest *******
830 Posts
Not stuck on anything in terms of rims. Suggestions are most appreciated - plus you own a 540 wagon and probably have way more insight into what looks good and what works! I know I DON'T want chromed out wheels. I don't want blingy wheels.

Keeping in mind I will eventually upgrade at least the front bumper to an M5 style. Note: I'm not sold on M5 wheels. I like them but I see them on way too many cars.

Keep in mind. I can't throw down funds for Schnitzer, Hamann, or BBS. Also, the color is Oxford Green.

I saw these posted locally but am unsure about a 'black center':

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/pts/663768969.html

Plus, I really don't know about going with 19". I still want to drive this car on rougher roads when needed.

These looks like good 'knock offs' but again are 19".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/19-H...38257023QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item180238257023&

I work for myself and have a family so my total budget is maybe around 1200 - 1900 bucks.
Having a touring shows your side of practicality =)...That's also the reason why I wanted to have my touring =)...I needed that room for my son and still be able to lug things around in style, lol...

Well for wheels, I'll PM you on details of something you might like to have! =) 19's are not bad at all on our tourings. By any chance you have sport suspension?

As for the bumper, who said you have to pay deep to play? Euro Dyne is offering a promo right now on our front M Style Bumpers with an HM Style One Piece Splitter for only $375 shipped! =)

I'm sure we can work with the $1900 budget you have for the wheels and bumpers! :thumbup:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool! I will contact you later today - possibly tomorrow depending on work.

Yes, it's a 540it - sport edition so unless something is terribly wrong it should. I wasn't buying anything else : ).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts