Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So much information here. Awesome job.

Have reason to believe that my oil pan gasket is leaking. Doubt that I would do the job myself unless there is a way that I can support my engine from up top.

With that said, will end up taking it to the dealership. From what I am reading, this will require lifting the engine from the engine mounts. Seems to me like it would be silly not to have them replace the motor mounts during the same proceedure, as I would likely only need to pay for the engine mounts themselves.

So, my suggestion is this. A sticky, or perhaps part of the "You just bought a BMW" document.

Someting along the lines of "If one were to replace "this", it only makes sense to replace "that" "at the same time document.

·
Nuclear engineer
02/2012 X5 35d M57Y CPO 99K miles NOKIAN WR G3 12K miles
17,468 Posts
Lower front axle? Or wrong engine?

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e60-528i-lim/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-13-oil-sump/GUrIoa7

As to your ‘sticky’; the disturbed parts are noted in the New TIS procedures that should be studied before DIY. A list by objective would be huge.

About the turn of the Century a new technical specialty was created called work packaging that builds and then uses expert knowledge computer programs. From these come canned work instructions like NewTIS.info. But shadetree experts can always do it better.. There is never time to do it right the first time but always money to do it over.

·
Registered
995 Posts
So much information here. Awesome job.

Have reason to believe that my oil pan gasket is leaking. Doubt that I would do the job myself unless there is a way that I can support my engine from up top.

With that said, will end up taking it to the dealership. From what I am reading, this will require lifting the engine from the engine mounts. Seems to me like it would be silly not to have them replace the motor mounts during the same proceedure, as I would likely only need to pay for the engine mounts themselves.

So, my suggestion is this. A sticky, or perhaps part of the "You just bought a BMW" document.

Someting along the lines of "If one were to replace "this", it only makes sense to replace "that" "at the same time document.
I know exactly what you are trying to communicate. I feel the same way. I am replacing my clutch in two days and it would only be logical to replace some parts that can be replaced while transmission and clutch are out of the way. Rear main seal comes to mind along with some drive shaft components, since it will be off the vehicle as well.

With that said, there is no document which specifies any additional preventative maintenance of this sort.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Nuclear engineer
17,468 Posts
With that said, there is no document which specifies any additional preventative maintenance of this sort.
It is preemptive repair, and prevents nothing.

The TIS lists prerequisite and in-process disturbed parts.

·
Registered
995 Posts
It is preemptive repair, and prevents nothing.

The TIS lists prerequisite and in-process disturbed parts.
In case of clutch/DMF replacement, is there any official document which suggests replacement of the rear main seal? Surely, the seal does, at some point, wear out and leak. Wouldn't replacement of a $20 dollar seal, while the transmission and clutch is removed, be a preventative maintenance sort of job? In my view, something that is inevitable to happen, being prevented from happening, is in fact preventative maintenance. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Nuclear engineer
17,468 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Looks like the issue at hand is difficult for you to comprehend. It's not about having information but having relevant information. Suggestion of sort. Like OP's example of having to lift the engine to do one job and having a suggested list of parts that can be replaced along the way. Avoidance of having to do the same amount of work for two different things. Engine mounts are a very good example. Comprende amigo?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can you elaborate?
To be honest, not sure where it is coming from. Noticed spots on the floor. Didn't see anything obvious in the engine bay. Removed the front lower spash shield. I have oil on the side of my pan. Don't have access to a lift, and it is cold here in Michigan at this time of the year, so have little inclination to put the car up on blocks. Need to replace transmission pan and fluid in the spring, so hope to get more information at that time.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have the Bentley manuals. Again, as I am not able to get under the car fully, I am not sure where the oil is in fact coming from. As for replacing the gasket, from what I understand, it is not a DIY sort of thing. At least not for me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Have the Bentley manuals. Again, as I am not able to get under the car fully, I am not sure where the oil is in fact coming from. As for replacing the gasket, from what I understand, it is not a DIY sort of thing. At least not for me.
FWIW,

I recommend that you find an independent repair shop to perform this work; unless you have stacks of $$$. I have a 2007 530Xi with a leaking oil pan gasket. It's been leaking several years now, and given BMWs are known leakers and burners of oil I can't say with any certainty that most of the oil is coming from the pan gasket. Sorry I digress, but the quote to replace the oil pan gasket at an independent shop in my town was nearly $2000. Ridiculous, can't even begin to fathom the cost from the dealer. I told my mechanic that I can refill a lot of Liqui-Moly for $2000, so it made no economic sense to replace the gasket. Why does BMW skimp out on gaskets? Oil pan, valve cover, oil filter housing gaskets are ALL known issues with our cars; new and old.

I agree that it would be nice to have a list of items to replace if you are doing XYZ, but every DIYer has a different opinion on what needs to be replaced. If you take it to the dealer, they will have a list for sure. And anything they touch will have a warranty associated with it.

My approach has been to review the Bentley manual (and any other sources) prior to starting my repair and order the parts for the repair and any other part that I may remove or have access to while working on my car. The list gets very long once you start adding all the fasteners that likely to need replacing; not to mention the rear main seal if you know what you are looking at in the manuals.

I can also tell you about how my local mechanic recommended the replacement of the rear main seal when they replaced my transmission, but then didn't do the work. But that's a story for another day.

Good luck
Fred

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Watched a video or two. I suppose that for $2k I would be inclined to purchace the support bracket that they use to lift the engine from above.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts